Chicken has a hole...what do I do????

horseychick2

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Monroe, NJ
Ok, so I looked at my little silkie frizzle bantam today after noticing blood on her, and she has a hole on her side, closer to her rear. It's like the skin has been peeled off and the muscle and stuff is exposed. I don't know what to, this hasn't happened to me before. I'll try and get the pictures from my phone

Hello!

This was most likely a rooster trying to mate and the spurs or nails cut the thin skin.
First, Cut any remaining skin hanging off. Then, clean the wound. Seperate her, and give her some electrolytes or antibiotics.

Chicken's hearts beat 300 times a min. so they generate more blood, therefore the healing process is quicker then human, you should see it healing up within a few days. You might can stitch it up, but I have known a few people to just leave it be and it heal it self.

Just keep an eye on her.. she should be fine, I hope somone more knowledgable with this will chime in, and correct me if I am wrong or add to this.

Good luck!

Thanks! That's what I thought could have happened too. She's already separated and I just have to clean her up and give her the electrolytes. Should I also put like blu-kote or neosporin or something on the wound?

All i done when one of my hens had a cut like that was clean her up seperate her to our Chicken Hospital in our garage and gave her electrolytes and i also cleaned her wound with iodine for 3 days by the 7th day she was healed up and ready to go back out to her flock

someone help my chicken has this problem since last week i think wednsday her muscel is exposed and stuff i stitched it but then it opened up its 1 cm wide 3 cm long what should i do can it get infected and die with its muscel exposed? this is my favorite hen i am so giving away that rooster i have 2 and they overmate the hens constantly

I'm a newbie, too - but we've already had to deal with several deep gashes that left skin hanging and muscle exposed. I cleaned up the area clipped any feather remains that would get in the way. I rinsed the area with saline and then spritzed with peroxide. My father is a retired nurse and has experience with chickens - he advised to leave the area alone - as in don't stitch it up. Stitching it up could end up keeping bacteria and junk in the wound and not allow it to breath. I did not have any Vetricyn Wound Spray at the time so I used triple antibiotic ointment to keep the area supple. After a few days in the Chicken Care Center she was back to normal and the wound looked great. I did end up spraying it with BlueKote because I did not want anyone pecking at the area.
Good luck!

I'm a newbie, too - but we've already had to deal with several deep gashes that left skin hanging and muscle exposed. I cleaned up the area clipped any feather remains that would get in the way. I rinsed the area with saline and then spritzed with peroxide. My father is a retired nurse and has experience with chickens - he advised to leave the area alone - as in don't stitch it up. Stitching it up could end up keeping bacteria and junk in the wound and not allow it to breath. I did not have any Vetricyn Wound Spray at the time so I used triple antibiotic ointment to keep the area supple. After a few days in the Chicken Care Center she was back to normal and the wound looked great. I did end up spraying it with BlueKote because I did not want anyone pecking at the area.
Good luck!
Yep this is the best way to do it and keep her put up for 3 to 5 days till it looks like its healing well best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom