Chicken has Bald Patch on her Bottom

NapoeleonDynamite

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2020
Hello,
This morning, I noticed that one of my hens has a bald patch on her bum (pictures below). I did a bit of research and there seems to be a variety of things that could be going on, so I'm not sure what's wrong with her. I picked her up and looked at the patch, and her skin seems to be healthy and shows no signs of pecking or parasites.
Does anyone have any thoughts as to what is wrong with her? Could it be egg-laying or molting?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5550.JPG
    IMG_5550.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5554.JPG
    IMG_5554.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5561.PNG
    IMG_5561.PNG
    124.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5560.PNG
    IMG_5560.PNG
    124.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5559.PNG
    IMG_5559.PNG
    122.6 KB · Views: 16
Hi there! I'm sorry your girl has a balding bottom. Have you checked her and the coop over really well for lice and mites? Checking at night is the best time to do this.
It's possible that she's being plucked by her flockmates.
How many birds do you have and what size coop do they sleep in?

Hi there! I'm sorry your girl has a balding bottom. Have you checked her and the coop over really well for lice and mites? Checking at night is the best time to do this.
It's possible that she's being plucked by her flockmates.
How many birds do you have and what size coop do they sleep in?
Hi! No, I haven't checked the coop for mites, I'll do that! There are 4 chickens in total, and their coop is probably 6x4?

You'll need a pymethrine spray or dusting powder or Elector PSP. Either are effective treatments for mites and lice. If you're not in the US, there are different options

If you have a TSC nearby, they carry Gordon's. It's an affordable pymethrine liquid. The mixing directions are on the attached booklet. You'll need to clean out the coop completely and then spray every crack and crevice. Mites hide out in the coop all day and come out to feed at night. They are tiny so they can fit between roosts and walls, any tiny crevice. Be sure that you take everything you remove from the coop far away and burn it. You'll need to treat each bird too.

If you have a TSC nearby, they carry Gordon's. It's an affordable pymethrine liquid. The mixing directions are on the attached booklet. You'll need to clean out the coop completely and then spray every crack and crevice. Mites hide out in the coop all day and come out to feed at night. They are tiny so they can fit between roosts and walls, any tiny crevice. Be sure that you take everything you remove from the coop far away and burn it. You'll need to treat each bird too.
Alright. I've looked at some organic mite-killing sprays on Amazon (is that an okay route to go?), but I will do a thorough cleaning and spray the coop with something. Thank you so much for the help!

Back
Top Bottom