chicken has been attacked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by the1honeycomb, Nov 21, 2010.

1. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    My red has a large gash on his back have been treating with meds and feeding antibiotic food for chcks. he seems stable but I need to go out of town and want to take him with me do you think the trip would be too traumatic? I can't leave him with anyone. . . new to town. he is very happy to just sit in my lap and nap but can't keep up with the other chickens
    Any Opinions?

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I'd take him. Check your chick fed, though- most medicated chick fed isn't antibiotics but Amprolium, a Thiamin blocker. This won't help him fight infection, do use plenty of ointment. It's messy but great.

He'll appreciate your care. Good luck!

3. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    Thanks I was afraid it would be too stressful I get out every nite and find him and put him in a heated hut, he preferred wild bird seed and I have lost 2 chicks to this preditor but can't seem to find or catch him. I have a live trap but to no avail. I will take him

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Where to begin...

Rescue Remedy in his water to hopefully reduce stress of travel (and having been attacked).

Lots of nutrition for this boy, and healthy yummy treats to help his spirits (black oil sunflower seeds, mealworms, cut up bits of favorite fruits). If you have it, Avia Charge 2000 is everyone's water daily (can order on line). Roo likely will do best on a game bird maintenance feed (that's what my roo has been on for many years - hens eats it too and they just supplement as they wish with free choice with oyster shell). Topical neosporin till wound is clearly healing well. He may be oral or injectible antibiotics too if the wound is deep.

Everyone else in lockdown for now - the pred will be back almost as certain as the sun rising each day.

JJ

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    YAY!!! I finally have a neighbor!!!

Sorry about your bird though: at least you can take him with you. Neosporin without "pain relief" on the label works wonders! Good luck, neighbor!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by