Chicken has dull feathers with bald spots

902Golden

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2018
Colorado
I welcome your insight.

I have a flock of 14 chicken that are 2 1/2 years old. No roster. Last fall I noticed one of my girl’s feathers were rather dull looking. She has since lost feathers primarily around her vent and belly, but also on her back. Her tail feathers are sparse and very dull. I feed a 20% pellet and supplement with BOS. She’s the only one who looks like this.
I have also noticed she spends most of the day by herself and roosts furthest from the other girls. I haven’t witnessed any bullying. When I hand feed treats, she’s in there with the rest of the girls. I have started giving her epson salt baths to see if this helps.

What can I do for her?

Attachments

• BCD8C083-008C-4B8E-B5D2-27ECB1DC153F.jpeg
    BCD8C083-008C-4B8E-B5D2-27ECB1DC153F.jpeg
    638.4 KB · Views: 41
  • DF24E845-520B-4060-B0BB-6BEF831767DA.jpeg
    DF24E845-520B-4060-B0BB-6BEF831767DA.jpeg
    648.9 KB · Views: 15
  • AA597F61-4474-416A-9976-92AE2FABA4E2.jpeg
    AA597F61-4474-416A-9976-92AE2FABA4E2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • 27CA1A26-44AD-4EBC-BBF8-C196B060B21A.jpeg
    27CA1A26-44AD-4EBC-BBF8-C196B060B21A.jpeg
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Poor thing. Does she have runny poo? Looks like what a hen that has vent gleet goes through. Maybe offer some nutri-drench - it can be the boost she needs. Also, maybe cut out all treats until she clears up. She might not be getting enough nutrients from her feed.
Is she still laying?
She's obviously not feeling well if shes segregating herself.

Poor thing. Does she have runny poo? Looks like what a hen that has vent gleet goes through. Maybe offer some nutri-drench - it can be the boost she needs. Also, maybe cut out all treats until she clears up. She might not be getting enough nutrients from her feed.
Is she still laying?
She's obviously not feeling well if shes segregating herself.
I don’t know much about vent gleet, so will do research on it.
Yes, she does have runny poo. With 14 chickens I don’t know if she’s laying. She sure does seem miserable. I will try the nutri drench. Thank you.

If she has runny poo, that can be causing the feather loss on the abdomen.
Definitely look up vent gleet. Also look up ascites- see if any symptoms match. But, generally, I don't think she would have lasted this long with untreated ascites.

Doesn't look like gleet.

I would be inclined to treat her for lice/mites and possibly Depluming mites. Feathers are being nipped as well, so some bullying going on unless she's picking at herself.

Start with dusting her with a Permethrin based poultry dust.

Did she molt at all last fall?

Doesn't look like gleet.

I would be inclined to treat her for lice/mites and possibly Depluming mites. Feathers are being nipped as well, so some bullying going on unless she's picking at herself.

Start with dusting her with a Permethrin based poultry dust.

Did she molt at all last fall?
I thought maybe the hen had been cleaned well before the photo was taken, that's why I suggested vent gleet.

Prior to photos I had soaked her for about 15 minutes in epson salt bath.

As for lice/mites, wouldn't at least one other hen in the flock have them? Also would that make feathers dull? That is how it all started.

I don't recall her molting last fall.

Last edited:
Prior to photos I had soaked her for about 15 minutes in epson salt bath.

As for lice/mites, wouldn't at least one other hen in the flock have them? Also would that make feathers dull? That is how it all started.

I don't recall her molting last fall.
If she didn't molt then the feathers are worn out.

She's isolating herself, check her for lice/mites. If a bird is unwell they may be the only one with an infestation, the others may be doing a much better job maintaining themselves by dust bathing and preening.

Back
Top Bottom