Chicken has egg shell stuck in vent

I did not get it out, but nothing was protruding as it had been. Her mood was much better after bath. Coincidentally, she is losing her status as Top Hen and I noticed that she had been hen pecked to the point of injuries scabbing over.

The previous day, did notice other hens pulling small white bits from her vent. Didn't understand that it was most likely soft egg shell at that time until reading the post. She is prone to laying shell-less eggs, and there was an egg in the brood box the previous day before she appeared ill. She often has a period of malaise after laying shell-less eggs in the past.

Last edited:
I did not get it out, but nothing was protruding as it had been. Her mood was much better after bath. Coincidentally, she is losing her status as Top Hen and I noticed that she had been hen pecked to the point of injuries scabbing over.

The previous day, did notice other hens pulling small white bits from her vent. Didn't understand that it was most likely soft egg shell at that time until reading the post. She is prone to laying shell-less eggs, and there was an egg in the brood box the previous day before she appeared ill. She often has a period of malaise after laying shell-less eggs in the past.
Did you feel inside the vent to make sure there is no egg? Can she poop o.k.?
If she's got a history of soft-shelled eggs, then likely the others pulled that out (let's hope) but I would keep watch on her for a few days.

For mine that have had troubles like this and they had a period of malaise afterward, I would give them extra calcium (1 Tums or 1/2 Caltrate) for 2 days in a row and direct dose them with poultry vitamins (like Poultry Cell at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight). Calcium to help with contractions and "maybe" shell quality, but often there is something else going on - maybe a shell gland disorder/reproductive problem that can't be "fixed". Vitamins are to help give a boost during stressful times (it's very hard and stressful to expel a soft shelled egg).

Does she have a discharge from the vent that may be yellow or clear(ish) like it's yolk or albumen (egg whites)? The worry is always the membrane of the egg leaked or opened during the laying process - this can cause infection in the oviduct - at the very least irritation which I speculate is one reason they seem lethargic (don't feel well).

How old is she and does she ever lay a normal hard shelled egg?

She is 3 years old and has consistently laid large eggs almost daily except for the occasional shell-less egg and malaise as described above. I do give a calcium supplement regularly with their food, mostly for her. Her vent looked okay today.
Have 4 other birds at this time. Pretty sure they cannibalized a small Silky last weekend when we were away for about 36 hours. All had been quite mean to the Silky but never suspected that it would go that far.
Ever time I congratulate myself on doing well with the chickens, something happens, as in never a dull moment.
Thanks for your concern and advice.

She is 3 years old and has consistently laid large eggs almost daily except for the occasional shell-less egg and malaise as described above. I do give a calcium supplement regularly with their food, mostly for her. Her vent looked okay today.
Have 4 other birds at this time. Pretty sure they cannibalized a small Silky last weekend when we were away for about 36 hours. All had been quite mean to the Silky but never suspected that it would go that far.
Ever time I congratulate myself on doing well with the chickens, something happens, as in never a dull moment.
Thanks for your concern and advice.
:hugs I hope she bounces back.

Back
Top Bottom