Chicken has fluid on chest, not interacting with other chickens

KIMEng

Chirping
Jul 4, 2019
Orlando, Fl
I noticed my Barred Rock was nesting in the hen house not acting all together as usual this morning, this after noon she is not interacting with the flock . I picked her up to check her out and her chest feels like there is fluid, like a water balloon. I have her sequestered now. I gave her a salt water bath thinking she might be egged bound but she is not really acting like that really does not have the posture. What causes water in the chest area? I will not be able to get her to the vet until Monday.
Thank you for any help.

Are you sure it's "water in the chest" and not the crop you're feeling?
How old? When did she lay last? Have you seen her eating/drinking/pooping?
When you say "salt water bath", assuming it was an Epson Salt soak ...

Are you sure it's "water in the chest" and not the crop you're feeling?
How old? When did she lay last? Have you seen her eating/drinking/pooping?
When you say "salt water bath", assuming it was an Epson Salt soak ...
Yes, Epson salt bath. I have not seen her eat today and when I gave the other hens a little snack this evening she did not come out of the coop, which is very irregular. The girls love their evening free ranging. The fluid encompasses her entire chest.

Attachments

• IMG_6640.PNG
    IMG_6640.PNG
    804.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6641.PNG
    IMG_6641.PNG
    986.5 KB · Views: 10
Yes, Epson salt bath. I have not seen her eat today and when I gave the other hens a little snack this evening she did not come out of the coop, which is very irregular. The girls love their evening free ranging. The fluid encompasses her entire chest.
she is about 3 years old, very active and usually healthy. I did see a very small, tiny egg in the coop this week.

Hoo boy. This hen looks to be in big trouble. I hope you've been able to get her to a vet by now.

It appears her crop may have ruptured into the subcutaneous region between outer skin and crop sack. I imagine the vet would try to drain it with a small incision, which you could also do if you haven't been able to see a vet.

Could she have a ruptured air sac (subcutaneous emphysema) which can be caused by a hard bump? Air can gather under the skin, and can keep getting larger, but may cover a whole area of the body. A sterile needle can be inserted under the skin and the air removed with an attached syringe of pressed out with hands.

Hoo boy. This hen looks to be in big trouble. I hope you've been able to get her to a vet by now.

It appears her crop may have ruptured into the subcutaneous region between outer skin and crop sack. I imagine the vet would try to drain it with a small incision, which you could also do if you haven't been able to see a vet.

Could she have a ruptured air sac (subcutaneous emphysema) which can be caused by a hard bump? Air can gather under the skin, and can keep getting larger, but may cover a whole area of the body. A sterile needle can be inserted under the skin and the air removed with an attached syringe of pressed out with hands.
THANK YOU both for your help ... I do hope poster got help for the chicken.

Back
Top Bottom