Chicken has lost three toenails

Chris&Terry

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
Hi, we're pretty new to raising chickens, but so far it has been a really fun and rewarding experience (although I realized early on that I better never try to figure out my ROI on the operation
smile.png
).

Anyway, we've figured out how to deal with most of the problems that have been "new" to us via this and other forums, but we recently experienced something that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. One of our hens lost two toenails earlier this week. Not sure how it happened, but on Monday or Tuesday I noticed her limping and when I investigated I fond that two toenails were gone and the toes were slightly swollen. No apparent impact on appetite, personality (she is really freindly), etc., so I figured that maybe she got them caught in something in the coop and ripped them off. Couldn't figure out what that might have been, so I decided to just keep an eye on her and keep the foot clean. Then tonight, my wife went outside to check on her and found that another toenail is missing. Now this poor hen only has the back claw.
What causes this? Is it something I should worry about? Is there something I can do for her? Really appreciate any help.
Thanks!!

I had a couple hens that popped toe nails. I spent a few hours watching them the next day to see what they were doing.

I had buried an old gal in the lot that died. I had put a 6" wide and half inch thick concrete stepping stone on the mound to keep anyone from digging there. The hens were digging at the stone trying to move it. That is how mine popped the toe nails off.

Matt

Hello! Are they on wire anywhere? Wire mesh can trap nails. Check around the inside and outside of the coop for blood- when the nail was ripped off/caught on something- probably there was some bleeding- if you can find blood, you may be able to hone in on what happened. Can rats get in? Rats can nibble toes at night. Where do they sleep- can anything reach their feet from the outside during the night?
If her toes are swollen, infection may be present. This is not bumblefoot- but looking up threads on bumblefoot will help you treat her feet if you want to do this (soaks, topical antibiotics, systemic antibiotics).

Chris&Terry :

Hi, we're pretty new to raising chickens, but so far it has been a really fun and rewarding experience (although I realized early on that I better never try to figure out my ROI on the operation
smile.png
).

Anyway, we've figured out how to deal with most of the problems that have been "new" to us via this and other forums, but we recently experienced something that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. One of our hens lost two toenails earlier this week. Not sure how it happened, but on Monday or Tuesday I noticed her limping and when I investigated I fond that two toenails were gone and the toes were slightly swollen. No apparent impact on appetite, personality (she is really freindly), etc., so I figured that maybe she got them caught in something in the coop and ripped them off. Couldn't figure out what that might have been, so I decided to just keep an eye on her and keep the foot clean. Then tonight, my wife went outside to check on her and found that another toenail is missing. Now this poor hen only has the back claw.
What causes this? Is it something I should worry about? Is there something I can do for her? Really appreciate any help.
Thanks!!​

Wow...does that story hit home to me.

I buried one of my girls about a week ago and two days later found her dragged 20 yards into the small coop and it appeared someone (the other chickens) were eating her wing!!!!

And yours were scratching at the some you put over the grave? Really, really strange goings on.

smile.png
).

Thanks!!
Hi I rescued a badly treated chicken a couple of weeks ago and she came with extremely bad scaly leg mite. This has caused her to loose two nails so far. My vet said she will manage fone without them but they put her on antibiotics to prevent infection getting in the wee open wound where her nail was. I also cover the wound in Sudocrem babies nappy cream.
smile.png
).

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom