Chicken has possibly lost an eye help!

stacey4580

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 23, 2013
We've owned chickens for a little over 2 years but I pretty much know nothing about them. Having chickens was my husbands idea. :) Our neighbor has a boarder who has a german shepherd pup. She attacked one of our hens. The hens eye swelled up shut and my husband was convinced she lost her eye. I kept wanting to try to doctor her and he kept insisting that chickens are different and that she would heal herself. This happened about 10 days ago. So, while he was gone to the store yesterday, I decided to doctor the hen by myself. HA Her eye has been swelled shut for 10 days and I felt sorry for her. Anyway, I got a warm towel and wiped her eye. It opened up and a ball of puss came out. It was gross but you could just see the relief on the poor things face. Anyway, I cleaned it up good. Her eye is still in the socket and everything, but she is clearly blind. I left her alone for fear of stressing her out too much. Later in the day, I went back and wiped with the warm towel again and just a tiny amount of puss was in it. I shot it real good with Opthalmic Vetericyn. This morning all of the swelling is gone. Her eye was still like matted shut, which I will take care of again when I get home but it looks better. Is there anything I can do for her?

welcome-byc.gif
Continue on the course that you have started. There is always a possibility that she has not lost vision in that eye.

I have a hen named lucky. She was attacked by a dog and it cut her eye ball clean open. Now today a year later she is great yes blind in one eye but gets along very well. Don't give up yes they can and will heal and adapt. Keep up the good work. My lucky is my cherished girl

I went home last night and got a warm towel again. Wiped her eye and it opened up. What appeared to me to be her eye ball was still there. I put the Vetericyn in her eye and then started hand feeding her. She kept shaking her head and the next thing I knew, I had another giant ball of puss on my shoulder. Her eye is gone. There is just the hole there. I put more Vetericyn in it and left her alone for the night. This morning the eye is shut again so I will do the same thing for her tonight unless anyone else has a better suggestion. I don't know what else to do for her. Thank you

My Pudgey Chicken had a run in with some sort of animal and during the attack on the flock, she injured her eye severely. It swelled shut much like you a describing. I kept her inside in a tote for a few days and wiped her eye with warm wet q-tips for about 15 minutes 2 times a day (or more if she went outside and got it dirty....she was still very active and stubborn through her injury!) I was convinced her eye was totally lost but when her 3rd eyelid dried up and fell away, we could see her eye was clouded over and sightless. Anyhow, after the q-tip bath, I rolled a coat of neosporin over her eye and gave her 1/4 low dose aspirin. I crushed it and sprinkled it on a chopped baby tomato as a treat for being such a good girl.

She recovered fully and her eye is atrophying slowly, and she is still a zippy little thing. She has, however developed a taste for television. My husband has a pic of her roosting on my lap watching the screen with her good eye.

My Pudgey Chicken had a run in with some sort of animal and during the attack on the flock, she injured her eye severely. It swelled shut much like you a describing. I kept her inside in a tote for a few days and wiped her eye with warm wet q-tips for about 15 minutes 2 times a day (or more if she went outside and got it dirty....she was still very active and stubborn through her injury!) I was convinced her eye was totally lost but when her 3rd eyelid dried up and fell away, we could see her eye was clouded over and sightless. Anyhow, after the q-tip bath, I rolled a coat of neosporin over her eye and gave her 1/4 low dose aspirin. I crushed it and sprinkled it on a chopped baby tomato as a treat for being such a good girl.

She recovered fully and her eye is atrophying slowly, and she is still a zippy little thing. She has, however developed a taste for television. My husband has a pic of her roosting on my lap watching the screen with her good eye.

Proof they can and do do well with one eye. Love the addicted to tv though

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom