Chicken has red mark down side of leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tdgill, Apr 6, 2009.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

from the bendy part down to the ankle there is a red mark about the width of the side of the leg ...looks like a scrape, but just barely. not real red, just a tad. is this a tell tale sign of something in particular or maybe a boo boo

tia
    as always

2. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Is it on both legs?

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It's blood vessels. You can see them really good in chicks with light colored legs.

4. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Could be bumblefoot gone septic.

Rufus

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Pics!

6. Roosteroops

Roosteroops Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Cary, NC
    If it looks like a scrape - or a rug burn - (not bloody or swollen and no raised scales - just red) then my rooster has it every now and then too. I think it is related to the weather. It has never amounted to anything.

7. tdgill

Quote:anyone else on this one?

yeah, thats what it looks like...a rug burn. weird, thanks to everyone so far for suggestions. I will go research and have a pic tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  8. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    This happened to a couple of my hens a while back. I thought it was an injury at first, until it appeared on another one. I checked for scaly let mite but didn't find anything. I did put some bag balm on the legs for a few days anyway-- I figured if it WAS mites it would help, and if it was a scrape or irritation, that it wouldn't hurt either. It disappeared on it's own. I never did figure out what it was! I'm sorry that's not much help... [​IMG]

9. tdgill

no pics today ugghhh I got the flu i think

thanks again. I think its odd. No doubt there's some experienced people that have also seen this b4.

10. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The redness in the legs corresponds with the phases of the moon according to the old timers. When "the blood is in the legs" they would dub their birds and claimed there was less blood loss then.

It's perfectly normal and most noticable in a yellow legged bird, not so much in the white legged birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by