Chicken has skin, feather problem please help

chickanana

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
Kansas
Havn,t been here for a while hope the pics show.
fl.gif

8037_feathers.jpg

8037_img_1117.jpg

8037_img_1119.jpg

Look like cannibalism. Try some BluKote or Pick-No-More lotion. It makes the skin a dark blue/purple color so that the other hens/roos don't peck at it. But beware, use of the BluKote may result in your skin getting some color too!
wink.png

Looks like mine, you must have more than 1 rooster. I use to have 12 hens per 1 rooster then the coyotes and racoons took care of that problem, until I built a better coop.

Looks like a rooster problem to me. I will post a pic as soon as I can and you will see it is the same thing.

Looks to me like your rooster is an active boy!

The balding is typical on the top of head, neck and back when a rooster is constantly trying to mate your hens.

If you don't care if your eggs are fertalized, separate the roo for a while and let the hens feathers grow back.

the RIR with the spots on the chest looks like possible moulting?.....how many birds do you have in what sized space?

If you think its them all picking on eachother then I would allow them more free ranging room.

e

Last edited:
Do check for lice but I think it's molt time and a rooster that's mating alot. I take my roosters out for the day when the hens start to look ragged and only let them back in at night to roost with the hens.

Back
Top Bottom