Chicken has skin, feather problem please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickanana, Apr 23, 2009.

1. chickanana

chickanana Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Havn,t been here for a while hope the pics show.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Do you have a rooster?

Looks like they're either picking each others' feathers or going through a molt.

3. chickanana

chickanana Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Yes I have a rooster, I didn't think of a molt, They are a year old May May 9th:confused:

4. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Look like cannibalism. Try some BluKote or Pick-No-More lotion. It makes the skin a dark blue/purple color so that the other hens/roos don't peck at it. But beware, use of the BluKote may result in your skin getting some color too! [​IMG]

5. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Looks like mine, you must have more than 1 rooster. I use to have 12 hens per 1 rooster then the coyotes and racoons took care of that problem, until I built a better coop.

Looks like a rooster problem to me. I will post a pic as soon as I can and you will see it is the same thing.

6. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    It could be either one. My hens look like that and it is cannibalism. We use BluKote vigorously and over time, feathers grow back.

7. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    Looks to me like your rooster is an active boy!

The balding is typical on the top of head, neck and back when a rooster is constantly trying to mate your hens.

If you don't care if your eggs are fertalized, separate the roo for a while and let the hens feathers grow back.

the RIR with the spots on the chest looks like possible moulting?.....how many birds do you have in what sized space?

If you think its them all picking on eachother then I would allow them more free ranging room.

e

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  8. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with the others. I'd also check for lice. Remove that roo for awhile, or try the bib or whatever its called that the hens wear.

good luck

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Do check for lice but I think it's molt time and a rooster that's mating alot. I take my roosters out for the day when the hens start to look ragged and only let them back in at night to roost with the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by