Mellonball

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2023
Hi all. My hen is a lavender Orpington about 6 months old, and I realized her comb has some white on it with black tips. I think it’s been this way for quite a while, but since another hen got a comb injury I’ve been paying closer attention to all the others. Do you think this is maybe some sort of bacterial/fungal infection? If so, recommendations on how to help?

She has always had really wonky feathers… kind of split and not very soft. Maybe it’s related or maybe not?

Attachments

• IMG_6040.jpeg
    IMG_6040.jpeg
    632.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6041.jpeg
    IMG_6041.jpeg
    577.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6042.jpeg
    IMG_6042.jpeg
    621.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6045.jpeg
    IMG_6045.jpeg
    605.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6046.jpeg
    IMG_6046.jpeg
    648.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6048.jpeg
    IMG_6048.jpeg
    471.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6049.jpeg
    IMG_6049.jpeg
    632.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6051.jpeg
    IMG_6051.jpeg
    796.1 KB · Views: 12
Looks like it's just shrunk, which can be normal depending on the lay cycle.
She hasn’t started to lay yet. But I don’t think it has shrunk from what I remember at least. All the other hens have pretty bright red combs with no other discoloration

She hasn’t started to lay yet. But I don’t think it has shrunk from what I remember at least. All the other hens have pretty bright red combs with no other discoloration
It's because she's not ready to lay yet, don't worry.
The feathers are because the lavender has a shredder gene that can make them look a bit moth eaten

It's because she's not ready to lay yet, don't worry.
The feathers are because the lavender has a shredder gene that can make them look a bit moth eaten
Hmm ok! So you think the whiteness and black tips on the comb could just be related to age/lay cycle?

She has a mulberry wash on the tips of her comb, it's Pigment. It may darken in time and spread more or it may fade, just depends.

The white just is...it's tissue, skin, perhaps dry, but it's not something I'd worry about.

She looks fine to me.

She has a mulberry wash on the tips of her comb, it's Pigment. It may darken in time and spread more or it may fade, just depends.

The white just is...it's tissue, skin, perhaps dry, but it's not something I'd worry about.

She looks fine to me.
Ok, good to know! Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom