Apr 8, 2021
I have a hen who isn't eating much other than melons and cucumber. Doesn't show interest in dry feed, or fermented. She is only passing water and a small amount of green poo. Lost a lot of weight but still responsive and walking around but she spends a lot of time just sitting alone. I've separated her from flock in case she has something contagious

Her crop is firm in the morning but after massaging and some baking soda it clears up a bit, but it still feels like a balloon full of wet sand after. I think she might have eaten some garbage on accident but I just dont know for sure.

Her belly feels firm as well like she's egg bound although she hasn't layed at all except for a rubber egg she passed after a bath a few days ago... but she didnt poop after that either so im not sure where to go from here.

I had another hen of the same breed die of egg yolk peritonitis. Could this possibly be a combination of several ailments.

It was soft, shell was there but it wasnt hard enough to have any integrity so it collapsed after laying. I give here supplemental calcium in her water every other time I fill it and either garlic or apple cider vinegar when there are no supplements

It was soft, shell was there but it wasnt hard enough to have any integrity so it collapsed after laying. I give here supplemental calcium in her water every other time I fill it and either garlic or apple cider vinegar when there are no supplements
I would recommend always having a plain water option for them. Have one with supplements/ACV/probiotics, whatever you want to add, but always just have another plain one available too. I was given this advice and I think it's very beneficial. If for some reason a chicken doesn't like the supplemented water, they won't drink enough, and that can be very bad for their health long term. I'm not saying this has anything to do with your issue at the moment, but in general.

As for your sick girl, how old is she? Is she wiling to drink water? How does her comb look? I have lost several chickens this year and we are still trying to get to the bottom of it. Does your hen seem to have any respiratory issues?

Back
Top Bottom