Chicken hatcher going goose, what should I know??

VictoriaTemple

Songster
Aug 27, 2018
Southern Chester County, PA
Hello goose people! I love my chickens and know how to hatch their eggs with reasonable success. Now a neighbor wants me to try incubating some goose eggs for him. I understand that goose eggs are trickier, and require 28-30 days incubation. What else is different about hatching geese please? Thank you so much!

I read the article at the top of the forum, very informative. I’m always a little sad reading about candling eggs, with my poor vision I never manage to see anything beyond a few veins (I can’t read ultrasounds either).

Do you mean the incubation guide by Pete? That's a really good reference. The misting and cooling it talks about is highly recommended, and is one of the major differences between chicken eggs and goose eggs.

Nothings really different but you may want to try some thingsto get a betterhatch:
@FoodFreedomNow can you explain the benefits of misting and cooling?
In a nutshell, it simulates the dampening and cooling that a (waterfowl) broody does when incubating her eggs. I've observed Muscovy broodies carefully splashing their keel area and then returning to their nests - if it's good enough for them - and they have excellent hatch rates - it's good enough for me, too. 😁

Here's the thread where @pete55 describes the process in detail.

Back
Top Bottom