Chicken having vision problems

Her eyes do look a bit peculiar, and there is a lot of color variation in her irises. Hard to tell in your pictures, but it the pupil in each eye sharp? It doesn’t look like her eyes are cloudy from cataracts or the iris is turning grey as in Mareks. Vitamin deficiency, ammonia fumes from droppings, and infections can be common causes for blindness. Does she get a balanced chicken layer or all flock feed? I would try to keep everything in the same location for her, since many partly blind chickens can get along fairly well in familiar surroundings. I had a hen who was blind in one eye, and she sometimes could not get back to the coop if she went outside the fence gate. I always did a head count in the evenings to make sure she was there, before closing the coop door.

But she's going to turn 2 years old in a month or two and I didn't have any chickens die. Or any showing symtoms of this disease
Her eye looks like just a hen in my friend’s flock who has ocular Marek’s. That hen has lived years with the pinpoint eye, some strains of Marek’s are much less fatal than others. However, they’re all still very contagious.

Her eyes do look a bit peculiar, and there is a lot of color variation in her irises. Hard to tell in your pictures, but it the pupil in each eye sharp? It doesn’t look like her eyes are cloudy from cataracts or the iris is turning grey as in Mareks. Vitamin deficiency, ammonia fumes from droppings, and infections can be common causes for blindness. Does she get a balanced chicken layer or all flock feed? I would try to keep everything in the same location for her, since many partly blind chickens can get along fairly well in familiar surroundings. I had a hen who was blind in one eye, and she sometimes could not get back to the coop if she went outside the fence gate. I always did a head count in the evenings to make sure she was there, before closing the coop door.
I have her in a secure room in our barn with another chicken (she freaked out by herself) because she kept wandering off. Her pupils look fine to me, its like she can see me but has terrible coordination. She will lift her head and look at me when I enter the room and she still scratches at the ground, makes normal hen noises, and walks around. Its just that she has a really hard time eating and drinking because she moves her head so much. Its like she acts blind but she isn't. We give our chickens a mix of layer and all flock pellets.

Back
Top Bottom