chicken hawk after our puppy

catchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
We had quite a few chicks just vanish over the year. We dumb city folk did not no it was a chicken hawk. But we saw him last week for the first time. It almost got beloved chicken name Rusty. But the Roo kicked that hawks butt. Really cool.

Anyway we locked all the chickens up in their cover pen yard and we thought everything would be fine. Not! That darn hawk almost got our puppy this morning right in front of my little girl. My daughter ran and screamed at that darn hawk and it flew on by but it was a close call.

Anyone know anything we can do to get rid of this thing. I would shoot it if I knew how to shoot a gun. Like I said city girl.
hmm.png
But I really need help.

Thanks

Catchick

Reason why my Jack Russel puppies don't go outside until they are 6-8 months. They will snag small puppies, kittens, whatever.

I dont know what kind of dog you have but I would not let her out alone until shes bigger. A hawk tried to get our cocker mix when she was a puppy. It didnt help that she insisted on laying in the sun all curled up. She would curl up into such a tight little ball that she looked much smaller than she really was, She always surprized the hawk when she would jump up.

Quote:
Remember -- it is illegal to kill, harm or even harass any bird of prey. And that's a federal law, so there are some pretty hefty penalties behind it.

Lots of people have luck with providing extra shelter for their birds, and perhaps hanging shiny things like cds in the yard to distract the hawks or bird netting above the chickens' area to prevent the hawk from getting to the birds.

Good luck!

Quote:
Well don't bother with a plastic owl because we have one of those & I've seen the hawks perched on the same fence AS the plastic Owl! I think I'm going to try using some of the CD's we've got lying around that are no good anymore & I'm thinking about maybe some chimes too. I guess I better check my tongue & actions too because I've been know to swing my arms around & swear at it & I wouldn't want to "harrass it". I wonder if shinny objects tied in the trees harrasses them?

I have to watch our miniature dachshund when he is outside, we have hawks around and he is itty bitty, even for one of his breed!

I have a raptor rescue next door and instead of turning them loose on federal land like they are suppose to they turn them loose out the back door, means my yard as well. I have 3 chihuahua and I have to stand out side with them and make sure they are where I can get them if/when one comes after them. Chickens know when to run for cover as the crows warn them. They spent most of today inside as the bird of preys were everywhere.

Guy I know in SC lost his chihuahua to one this past summer.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have this image now & all I can say is I'm sorry. That must be a heck of a thing to have to deal with all the time.

I had this little hawk here yesterday & I was a bit taken aback because it was so small I didn't realize what I was seeing at first but hubby said it must have been a sparrow hawk? I'd only seen it from behind & thought "large bird" at first which one would never confuse a red tail hawk with. Anyway this one was only a little bigger than a bluejay & the Austrolorp was bigger than it. I think like me the Austrolorp was taken by surprise, because I'd been out in the yard with them all (I have 5 pullet buff orpingtons & 1 roo that are about 8 wks old) & I'd just come in to use the bathroom when the Austrolorp Miss Chickie started letting out this loud cluckling warning call. She must have scared the crap out of the thing because that's how I'd seen it from the back taking flight & I could see it was the colors of a hawk not a blue jay. So I knew the Orpingtons were under a burning bush hedge where I'd left them & I wanted to go back out to reassure Miss Chickie & the orpingtons were so cute as I got out in the yard & was talking to them all & they all came running out to me like "did you see that?" LOL Mean while my poor Miss Chickie looked like she was going to pass out. And then it seemed like the trees were just packed with blue Jays having a holy fit..... Thank heavens I'd remembered members here a while back saying the Jays won't tolerate the hawks & will run them off.... I guess they were a bit annoyed too. And you're right about them taking cover when it's a hawk but when it was the Blue Jays screaming for some time they just ignored it. It's very interesting how the instincts tell them what to do.

Zookeeper have you asked them to please release the hawks where they're suppose to & that you're concerned about your dogs? ARe you afraid if you approach them they'll retaliate with a complaint about your chickens?

Quote:
Remember -- it is illegal to kill, harm or even harass any bird of prey. And that's a federal law, so there are some pretty hefty penalties behind it.

Good luck!

And don't you think those hawks don't know it either! They have no fear of humans around my home because they are protected. They have come right into my barn stall and scared my little gosling to death by landing on his coop. They will sit on top of the barn and just look at us through those beedie little eyes, almost laughing. Well I might not be able to shoot them but I've gotten pretty good at throwing rocks. My 11 year old son was so mad the other day he said "Mom, I think the law is on our side. We have a right to protect our livestock. I want a .22 for Christmas"
I wish!

Quote:
No I am not afraid of them or of them coming after my chickens. I have asked them not to release them here and they keep insisting they don't. Kind of hard to believe as one of the bald eagles they released had been spray painted with a orange head, and we had a orange headed eagle till it molted.

They also turn their dogs loose and I lost 18 of my 11 week old chickens to them, went right thru the electric fence and got them. Of course his dogs didn't do that, even though the feathers were hanging on her lip. They don't go thru the electric fence any more as I turned it up, they get jolted about once a week if not twice.

I asked them to keep their dogs home and when they wouldn't I put a fence up for the chihuahuas, but with the bird of pray you can't take a chance. I never let my dogs out without me being there, I never have. But even with me being there it is dangerous, as it only takes a minute for a accident to happen.

Back
Top Bottom