Chicken hawk flew right under the pine tree...

Lothiriel

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Aug 30, 2007
New York State
My Coop
My Coop
Ok. So I was sitting talking with my sister (about chickens), and I looked out the window and there I saw what looked like one of my Barred Rocks but was a chicken hawk (also called Cooper's Hawk) fly right into the chicken yard and under the pine tree (and of course, I panic). The tree is not very big, and the chickens all use it for protection since it is so low to the ground. The chickens all scramble and flap and yell, while the hawk makes 3 turns around the tree. None of my girls were hurt, thankfully, but this is the first time the hawk has come into the yard. We've had this/these hawk(s) hanging around a lot since the time we got our second flock. The first time they/it took one was last year, when it got Squeaky, one of our BRs. Then it got Buttercup, another BR. That was when we were freeranging the chickens. Now they are confined (much to their dislike) to their yard. We've put up shiny reflective things and even a scarecrow, but it obviously isn't working. And notice the only ones the hawk has taken are the Barred Rocks. We got the BRs because everyone said that they were the least likely to get taken by a chicken hawk since they look so similar. If that is true, then why have only BRs been taken by the chicken hawk? That's my problem. It just doesn't make sense.
Any suggestions as to more ways to keeep hawks at bay and also as to why only my BRs are being taken will be appreciated.
Thanks to all in advance!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
My friend has the same problem with her run and she strung rope crisscrossed across her pen. It just has to be narrow enough that the hawks wingspan cant get between it. It's much easier than covering a whole run and she hasnt had a problem since. As long as you put them inside at night, it works for the winged predators.

Good Luck!

Nancy

Uhhhmmm... I'm not sure what SSS is, Bassleg.
idunno.gif
Could anyone tell me?

NancyDz, I would try doing that, but I walk in my pen and it's reall big too. So I don't think that it would work for me. But thank you anyway - a good idea for future pens.
smile.png

do not listen to bassleg, obviously he is not versed in the federal laws protecting raptors. i am not trying to start a huge discussion again but Lothiriel he means to shoot it, shovel it, shut up. it is a felony to do so. hope you are able to find another means of protecting your girls! good luck!

Last edited:
The coopers and red tail hawks are generally forest hunters, which means they have evolved to hunt in heavily wooded areas, which means navigating around, through, over or under trees is just a normal day for them as they hunt their prey.
So covering your run is the best way to keep them out, if you choose to cover the run by criss crossing rope or twine over the run it has to be strung tightly and very close together for the reasons stated above.
I covered a huge run I had years ago with twine and was quite successful in keeping the red tails at bay. I did have one that ignored the twine and dove in but he broke a wing as he did and I think died from shock as I found him dead in the run.

Quote:
Her run is huge, she has 4 different sections all 100ft x100ft.
and she walks in them. The rope/ wire is crisscrossed from the top of the run and in some areas she uses a tree. So its above
your head. It really is a cheap and easy way to deter the raptors.
She has a couple large coops that they are locked up in at night so her only day predators are the raptors.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom