Chicken Head caught in automatic door

I JUST bought an automatic door for mine online. I’ve wondered if something like that can happen! I’m a little worried now. I’m thinking I’ll try setting it for 20 minutes after complete sunset to make sure everyone is in Ok. I can’t imagine the horror of seeing that! Glad your bird is ok!
I think I have been talking to you. Thread seems to be gone. That is exactly what is working for me. They will not try to go out if it is dark. I don't think there is almost 0 possibility of a mishap. This was the first time I put them in and the door closed almost immediately. They no move away from the door to perch.

Appreciate it. She was perfect. Cannot believe it is possible. Must have nothing in their neck.
I am SO, so glad. I came on here to see what to do about my own nightmare of a door story. It’s pinned my one silkie twice and locked down on her overnight the first time, but in her back. I was sure she was dead. Well, now I check her every night but usually right before the door comes down, and since I was a minute late it had happened again. But we got her out after destroying the casing to get it open quickly. Why do they do this on the night we don’t check in time?

Are these doors closing at or after sunset? I developed a controller for linear actuators assuming if they closed at sunset the risk would be very minimal. My birds are always roosting by then and have yet to have an issue. I did manually operate it for a week so they were used to the sound.

I am SO, so glad. I came on here to see what to do about my own nightmare of a door story. It’s pinned my one silkie twice and locked down on her overnight the first time, but in her back. I was sure she was dead. Well, now I check her every night but usually right before the door comes down, and since I was a minute late it had happened again. But we got her out after destroying the casing to get it open quickly. Why do they do this on the night we don’t check in time?
Wow. A Silkie on the back and all night? Doesn't sound possible. My theory is that the little ones don't want to be in there and they see the door closing and it gets their attention. I don't really need a door - live in a neighborhood. I have 2 small birds that won't go in to the roosting area. Free roaming in the yard. Forced them in twice, but they prefer to stay away from the monster size birds.

Are these doors closing at or after sunset? I developed a controller for linear actuators assuming if they closed at sunset the risk would be very minimal. My birds are always roosting by then and have yet to have an issue. I did manually operate it for a week so they were used to the sound.
My door closes way past sundown. It is dark. IT was the first night and they weren't even use to staying in the enclosed area. I should have had it on manual like you for a couple of nights.

My door closes way past sundown. It is dark. IT was the first night and they weren't even use to staying in the enclosed area. I should have had it on manual like you for a couple of nights.

Gotcha. I know some are scared of linear actuator doors. Everything has drawbacks. Safeties have drawbacks too. I like mine. Running on manual was actually accidental, as my coding wasn't finished. I'm glad I did though, as it makes sense now to get them used to the sound.

So I have the Chicken Guard automatic door. The only issue I’ve had with using the sensor function is during storms and it closing without birds inside. I changed the setting to a scheduled time. I have it set to 20 minutes AFTER sunset. By the time it closes, all girls have been nestled safely inside for a good 10 minutes. So my advice is to use the timer function and give them plenty of time at first. Good luck, chicken mama!

So I have the Chicken Guard automatic door. The only issue I’ve had with using the sensor function is during storms and it closing without birds inside. I changed the setting to a scheduled time. I have it set to 20 minutes AFTER sunset. By the time it closes, all girls have been nestled safely inside for a good 10 minutes. So my advice is to use the timer function and give them plenty of time at first. Good luck, chicken mama!
Thank you! We have it set for 9 PM, but she’s the one girl who doesn’t roost and doesn’t care if she’s not with the others. And she’s also a little dim, poor dear! I’ve resigned myself to placing her inside every night before the door goes down, now I have an alarm to remind me.

Wow. A Silkie on the back and all night? Doesn't sound possible. My theory is that the little ones don't want to be in there and they see the door closing and it gets their attention. I don't really need a door - live in a neighborhood. I have 2 small birds that won't go in to the roosting area. Free roaming in the yard. Forced them in twice, but they prefer to stay away from the monster size birds.
I know, I have no idea how she hasn’t been harmed. It pinned down HARD so she couldn’t move or flap. I was devastated when I found her and angry with myself that it happened again last night. We have a huge coop with lots of room for her, you’re right, she doesn’t roost with the others, but they all get along fine. I’m going to build an addition to the ramp on the inside so she feels like she made it to the top and is done. And a small lip on the outside that needs to be stepped over so she can’t lay there. I’m afraid it may end up a chopping block though if she lays her head on it. But for now I have an alarm set for 5 minutes before and I’m going back to putting her in and waiting for the door to shut safely. I really think she feels likes she’s in as soon as she gets to the end. My comet was coming out and in several times trying to get her to follow her in the other evening. Everyone else goes in by 8, and it closes at 9.

I changed the settings on mine, and now I have had zero issues. I set it to close well after the time they go to sleep. And my flock isn't afraid of much. I use power tools in the coop all the dang time, and they come over to investigate. The noise the door makes doesn't faze them at all

Back
Top Bottom