Chicken Head Injury

She probably has nerve damage from getting caught in the netting. Hopefully it will improve. I have used non-electrified poultry netting for years, and the chickens never got caught into it (although the cats and dogs on the other side had to get used to it.) So I would guess that she may have been trying to escape a chicken chasing and pecking her. Then getting caught in the netting she may have fought to free herself. When caught and injured, another chicken really pecked her head.

She is standing up today, eating, and drinking. The injured leg is no longer curling her toes and putting weight on it.

Attachments

• IMG_4922.jpeg
    IMG_4922.jpeg
    693.3 KB · Views: 7
**Update** Day 3

Leg is improving, more standing, and lightly walking in holding cage. Eyes, comb, and waddle are all vibrant. Preening and normal behaviors today. Head is already healing and no infection.

After the cold spell in the next 48 hours hoping to
move her to the blocked off run and coop to allow the flock to interact through the hardware cloth.

I just found this thread and found it very helpful as I had a similar episode occur this morning! I’m happy to hear yours is doing well!

Glad it was helpful, our lady is doing well. Still getting her bearings with her leg. Not finding any lump, and normal behaviors. @Eggcessive we have a couple moderate temps for the next 3 days before it starts to drop and will hit single digits by Tuesday.

Do you think I should keep on the garage for the next week or should I go ahead and get she back out there with the other ladies? I don’t want her to be gone long from the flock, also want her to acclimate to the temps outdoors, but also don’t want her progress to regress.

Any thoughts BYC Community?

Back
Top Bottom