Chicken healing from animal attack - is this necrotic flesh?

temerick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 11, 2012

Last Saturday 7 (of our 9 chickens) were killed in an animal attack. This girl was left in the run, wounded. Her most severe wound was on her left breast muscle. Sutures were placed and she's been on an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory all week. She's been doing great, behaving completely normally and full of personality. However, when we were doing our normal checks on her wounds during medication tonight, we noticed the few purple areas of flesh along the sutures had turned into this. Is this flesh necrotic? I'm really hoping for some quick feedback, as I'm very, very concerned.

It's hard to tell from the photo. Here's a description I found in an old thread of necrotic vs. normal scabbing:
"Necrotic tissue is dead, typically black and leathery looking, attached to the live tissue underneath, very smelly if there is moisture around the edges."

Some of the surface tissue may not have survived the trauma but there may be new cell growth underneath. From what I can see, it looks like there's some color variation and pebbling in the dark areas, which would lead me to think it's granulation tissue. I can't say with certainty, though, because I can't be sure the color is coming through exactly accurately on this end.

More detail on necrotic tissue below - seems like whether or not there is an odor is a good clue. Stinky = bad :)

A necrotic wound is a wound that contains dead tissue. Wounds of this sort will often be discolored and soft with a very foul odor. Necrosis in a wound can have a number of causes, including insect or animal venom. Treating a necrotic wound is extremely important, since necrosis can result in a fatal infection. Medical maggots or surgery may be required to remove any dead tissue in a wound.
Healthy tissue that has died is often referred to as necrotic tissue. When some of the tissue in a wound dies, this is referred to as a necrotic wound. These types of wounds require immediate medical attention, since they are often very serious.
A necrotic wound will usually be very discolored. Often, it will be black, but it may also be yellow, green, or white. It is also usually very soft and mushy, and it will sometimes be covered with a scab or patches of scabs. One of the most unpleasant characteristics of necrotic tissue, however, is its smell. This smell occurs when the dead tissue begins to decay, or rot.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your response. We just applied vetericyn spray to the wound and I grabbed more photos. It definitely smells off..texture is not mushy at all, however. Color in the following photo is a little yellower than life, but you can see the full wound.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom