Chicken help

Marlissa

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2021
Hi! I have 2 year old chicken that has become sick in the past day or few days. Her belly seems to be full of water/ feels soft and like a water balloon (honestly I haven’t ever really felt a chicken’s belly before). She looks bloated and got super fat in just a day. She had a poopy bottom so I gave her a bath. She is walking pigeon toed. She is having trouble jumping up. She’s alert. Breathing fine. She has a gum ball sized lump under her chin. Her feathers are puffed since the bath 5 hours ago. There have been mis-shaped eggs over the past couple of months. What do you think is wrong with her and what should I do for her?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 67FF71A7-3916-4ADF-BED6-F686C2FD66E1.jpeg
    67FF71A7-3916-4ADF-BED6-F686C2FD66E1.jpeg
    538.4 KB · Views: 11
Hi! I have 2 year old chicken that has become sick in the past day or few days. Her belly seems to be full of water/ feels soft and like a water balloon (honestly I haven’t ever really felt a chicken’s belly before). She looks bloated and got super fat in just a day. She had a poopy bottom so I gave her a bath. She is walking pigeon toed. She is having trouble jumping up. She’s alert. Breathing fine. She has a gum ball sized lump under her chin. Her feathers are puffed since the bath 5 hours ago. There have been mis-shaped eggs over the past couple of months. What do you think is wrong with her and what should I do for her?

Thanks!
One of my hens is acting similar to yours.
If anyone can, please help me also.😫😥

@Marlissa it sounds like your hen has a reproductive disorder, such as internal laying, salpingitis, or egg yolk peritonitis that may have caused ascites fluid to accumulate. Some people can temporarily remove fluid from the abdomen with an 18 gauge needle placed just inside the abdominal wall to drain som fluid from the belly to relieve pressure and ease breathing. It can cause infection and more rarely death, but can help temporarily. Here is a link in post 42 with pictures of that being done:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/laying-hens-with-water-belly-or-ascites.68731/page-5

Here is a video of draining ascites:

@Marlissa it sounds like your hen has a reproductive disorder, such as internal laying, salpingitis, or egg yolk peritonitis that may have caused ascites fluid to accumulate. Some people can temporarily remove fluid from the abdomen with an 18 gauge needle placed just inside the abdominal wall to drain som fluid from the belly to relieve pressure and ease breathing. It can cause infection and more rarely death, but can help temporarily. Here is a link in post 42 with pictures of that being done:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/laying-hens-with-water-belly-or-ascites.68731/page-5

Here is a video of draining ascites:

X2

Back
Top Bottom