Chicken help

newbie4chickens

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 17, 2014
~~Hello everyone, I have utilized the site for much research and now happy to have joined but I need immediate help with my chicken problem. Setting: 4 young chickens (2 silkies, 1 easter egger, 1 welsummer) lived in basically a 4ft high 6ft sided square box. Sunday morning when I checked on them one of my silkies was dead and on the outside of the coop. Just looked smashed into the ground like road kill. I didn't study the corps too much because there wasn't much to look at, basically a big pile of feathers. I did notice that outside the coop on the opposite side were 3 long black feather with a tinge or brown. I used an online site to identify the feather and the closest thing I could find was a juvenile bald eagle. I assumed I may have forgot to put this one up the evening before but felt quite sure I did but couldn't find any entry points and couldn't understand why she would be outside the coop.

Monday morning OMG - This was an attack from hell. Of the 3 chickens left I found 1 dead inside the coop with its head missing and mauled. I found parts of another in atleast 10 different spots around the yard. Found 1 leg inside the fence (the run area attached to the coop but put birds up in the evening) and the other leg outside the fence. I found part of an instestine just laying by itself as well as a bone with no teeth marks as if something just pulled it apart. My other chicken is gone completely though she was only about a 4 month old silkie. I found her white feathers leading from the coop and in the corner of the fence there were feather up the fence and one sitting right no top of the fence post so something climbed the fence with her. A board was pulled out just under the roof exposing a gap of about 4 inches high and maybe 6 inches wide. This was definitely the way in and out because there are feather parts trailing from it. Inside the coop besides the dead chicken there are feather slung everywhere like a lawnmower ran over them. So in researching what killed my chickens it sounded like a raccoon at first but said they come every 5-7 days and this was back to back. Many animals sounded like possibilities but I am confused, any advice.

Sounds like a coon to me, secure it with screws everywhere. Might want to consider getting a game camera to find out for sure what is coming around atnight.

Back
Top Bottom