Chicken Hemorrhoid? What's going on here with this chicken butt?

BuffDaddy6

Chirping
Oct 11, 2019
Hi,
We have 5 Buff Orpingtons about 18 months old. This one had runny poop on her butt this morning and after looking we found something poking out of her vent area that looks like a hemorrhoid about as big as a quarter in diameter or maybe a bit bigger. I am unsure how long this has been since it started, I only noticed because she had a pasty butt this am. They eat organic pellets and the others do not appear to have any unusual swelling going on. I believe she is eating and drinking ok and she seems to be of normal weight. They have a layer of pine shavings in the coop/run and are allowed out to free forage in a large grassy field. She is moving naturally and can walk and run as seems normal. Her crop is soft and not much food now, a small amount of bubbly feeling in it. Included are 2 pics of her behind, one closeup, and a pic of a small bit of poop she made after my wife trimmed her vent area.
We just went through a period of no egg laying, about 1 month or more. We treated the coop with diatomaceous earth to ward off mites and such. We lost one bird last week, she seemed to lose weight and got a hard and crusty comb and simply declined in health no matter what we tried. Long and sad story.

This bird has a nice pink/red comb now.

We would appreciate any help. We are open to treating her ourselves if that is necessary.

Thank you for your help.
Ron and Angela
IMG_2879.jpeg
IMG_2881.jpeg

IMG_2878.jpeg

It sounds like a prolapse of the vent. See this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/prolapsed-vent.1460901/#post-24331461

Hemorrhoids are varicose veins that are inflamed. Chickens don't have veins there, and no really large veins anywhere . What you're seeing is probably part of the vent turning inside out. Depending on why and how it's happening it will partially, or possibly completely, block the exit of waste or eggs. And be at risk of damage from dirt, dehydration, and other chickens.

She's got the bird "Sunshine" in the bathtub washing her with dawn to clean and disinfect the area now. She will apply hydrocortisone cream and vetricyn spray after pushing the (gag) thing back inside her gently. (I'm the squeemish one, she's much better than me, think the tv show " Bless this mess")
Plans going forward:
- Re-install one or two of the standard plastic laying boxes(We had changed out 2 of 3 laying boxes they were used to to the Homestead essentials 2 side nesting boxes which they do not seem to be warming up to) (( we had a problem with one of the girls eating eggs, I think it was the one that died last week))
-monitoring her more closely and treating with Vetericyn daily

Hi,
We have 5 Buff Orpingtons about 18 months old. This one had runny poop on her butt this morning and after looking we found something poking out of her vent area that looks like a hemorrhoid about as big as a quarter in diameter or maybe a bit bigger. I am unsure how long this has been since it started, I only noticed because she had a pasty butt this am. They eat organic pellets and the others do not appear to have any unusual swelling going on. I believe she is eating and drinking ok and she seems to be of normal weight. They have a layer of pine shavings in the coop/run and are allowed out to free forage in a large grassy field. She is moving naturally and can walk and run as seems normal. Her crop is soft and not much food now, a small amount of bubbly feeling in it. Included are 2 pics of her behind, one closeup, and a pic of a small bit of poop she made after my wife trimmed her vent area.
We just went through a period of no egg laying, about 1 month or more. We treated the coop with diatomaceous earth to ward off mites and such. We lost one bird last week, she seemed to lose weight and got a hard and crusty comb and simply declined in health no matter what we tried. Long and sad story.

This bird has a nice pink/red comb now.

We would appreciate any help. We are open to treating her ourselves if that is necessary.

Thank you for your help.
Ron and Angela
View attachment 2653254View attachment 2653258
View attachment 2653244
Same with mine… what do you reccomend

Back
Top Bottom