Chicken Herding Sticks :D

It works! And they don't seem to mind or get agitated at all.

They're fine as long as I move slowly and use the sticks in gentle arcs rather than quick swings.

Since I'm herding them inside the fenced pen if one goes back past my legs I just let it straggle instead of making an aggressive move.

After seeing so much good advice about herding my chicks back into the coop at night I made a pair of chicken herding sticks to extend my reach so that they don't just dash back around me. Two scraps of pvc pipe with a little flagging tape tied to the ends.

I tried them out tonight and it worked very well. I just walked around the chickens, held out my sticks, and slowly walked toward the pop door as I called "Bedtime for birdies," and held the sticks so that the flags just brushed the ground. No end runs back around me into the pen tonight. All chicks ended up at the ramp.

At which point I leaned them up against the wall and used my hands to scoot the feathery tails inside (last stubborn chicken on the ramp not moving gets picked up, petted, and put in).

View attachment 2285344
I use a silver pool thingy that has a blue net. Well the blue part fell off soo... reusing! I bang it on the ground and use it to lightly nudge and herd chickens out of the woods, field, and road. So far it works like a beaut! No more killed chickens! Fatality rate this year is 0!

Though I wonder what the drivers think when they see a tiny person wearing a oversized hoodie without shoes running after chickens banging a silver rod on the ground to get get them off the dang road. Good thing no one called a social worker. (Besides it only happened three times) 😂🤫

Being Canadian, I never gave it a second thought... 😃
IMG_20210602_090227.jpg

I have herd them for years. I tap the ground and call "hut, hut, hut" If one gets by me, I leave it, and generally she does not like to be alone and returns to the group on her own. A little pile of treats just inside the door can help too.

By moving slow, you can round up fast. A true case of slow is faster.

Mrs K
ps - I just use a stick off of a tree, no flag...but works for me.

Back
Top Bottom