Chicken house help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Laura53, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Laura53

Laura53 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2016
    Hi, I need some help/advice on chicken houses! We're going to have a huge walk in run built so just need a house to fit around 15 - 18 standard size chickens in. Having trouble finding one so big though! Anyone know any good websites that might sell them for a reasonable price?

Found one to house 15 medium chickens on this website - https://www.chickencoopsandhouses.co.uk/Nelly-Portable-IN-STOCK.html - it has a nesting box with four compartments. If I added in another nesting box with another four compartments would I be able to house more chickens in it does anyone think? Or would it be the perch space I would need more of?

Thanks in advance!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Often the prefab ones are not as big as they state and can't fit as many birds in as it recommends. 15-18 birds in the link that you have posted would be a squash leading to all sorts of problems with over crowding. You would certainly need extra nest boxes and more perch space. Have a look by the coop section for ones you may be able to make your self. Here is the coop section ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Good luck with your new coop and enjoy BYC :frow

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC! The Learning Centre is a great place to start off as it has loads of info on anything chicken. Joining your state thread (just type your state in the search box) will also put you in contact with other BYC members in your area. I agree with Yorkshire Coop - building your own is cheaper, likely to be much larger and will last longer. I'm a big fan of using garden shed type structures, but you will see from the Coop section that members are very imaginative for sure!

All the best
    CT

5. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I agree with the previous greeters. From the reviews I've seen posted by members that purchased coops, the manufacture's exaggerate how many chickens can fit, some of them are not well built and all of them are pricey. For the same amount of money (or even less) you could build one yourself or find a carpenter to build one for you. Chickens hate being crowded, the more room you can give them the healthier and happier they will be.

Good luck!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    rule of thumb allow 4-5 sq.feet per bird inside the coop excluding nest boxes and roosts. In the outdoor run allow 10 sq.feet per bird. A run cover is a very good option, keeps out climbers and raptors and keeps wayward chickens inside where they belong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by