Chicken hypothermia emegency!

Okay she's making some progress. She moves around slightly, she breathes and opens her beak, and so on. She's still very still but at least she's breathing. But, I did find something on her that concerned me. On her body are some mites and I feel really bad because I've checked her over and over for them before, yet they're still there and I had no idea. So basically, what can I do for her while I treat her current emergency? Should I care for the mites first, or keep moving along with her hypothermia-related illness?

I would start treatment for the mites right away, you will also have to treat your other chickens and the coop. And then repeat the treatment in 10 days. Sevin dust is what it seems most say to use for treatment.

Alright. I have the dust for mites and all, but I've never used it before. How should I apply it to her?

Sorry about all of these questions.
tongue.png
I'm more-or-less new to owning chickens.

She didn't make it. I did all I could, and in the end I was with her when she left.
sad.png
RIP Gouda.

I am sorry she died. Silkies tend to be prone to getting mites easily as do polish....and of course I have both. I use the seven as it kills the bugs on contact and then again in 10 days and treat the environment. I am glad you were with her. Check the others as well.
sharon

sounds like she had been stressed from the lice/mites being on her. sometimes they are difficult to spot since the lice can be quick to get out of eyesight. stress from the bugs can drain the birds and make them depressed enough they can die from it. if you found her laying on the coop floor they could have jumped all over her very quickly.

Chickie'sMoma :

sounds like she had been stressed from the lice/mites being on her. sometimes they are difficult to spot since the lice can be quick to get out of eyesight. stress from the bugs can drain the birds and make them depressed enough they can die from it. if you found her laying on the coop floor they could have jumped all over her very quickly.

She was on the coop floor when I found her and because she pretty much no mites before, I assumed that's what happened when she went down.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom