Chicken id Leg bands?

Ok, Kelsie2290, now I want to dye a couple of my chickens (just for fun of course) I dont think it would hurt them, since its just jello- unless of course you were kidding, lol. But if you are not, do you just dunk them in jello water? that would be neat. I have two white birds that im sure would love to be green ;)

But the rest are dark, im thinking i will try metal leg bands. But how do you know which size to get?
I would never dunk an animal in jello. We've got ants ants ants here in Flda, and I think the sweetness in the jello, no matter how diluted, would attract the ants. Don't want ants swarming all over my chicks or chickens! Just a thought.

I would never dunk an animal in jello. We've got ants ants ants here in Flda, and I think the sweetness in the jello, no matter how diluted, would attract the ants. Don't want ants swarming all over my chicks or chickens! Just a thought.
You could use sugar free or unflavored Jello. I am also guessing you would rinse them after letting the dye set.

I am raising a large number of meat birds, will have 100-200 in the fields at any given time. I want to ID so I can keep track of batches and ages, study growth rate of males/females, compare growth of ducklings that start out smaller or larger, etc. Can I use Sharpies to tag them with colored numbers? Avoid red? Where to write? I do see adjustable colored bands on Strombergs, but they look too small for young birds. I brood them indoors for three weeks, then move outside to a shed with heat lights and attached run, and to unheated sheds/runs at 6 weeks. By 9 weeks they free range.

The advantage of a Sharpie label is that I can read them from a distance. The advantage of a leg tag is that I may be able to have the tag stay with the processed bird for my records.

Currently with many ducks, some chickens and a trio of Embden.

I have a question for people: we had gotten the id tags and put on chickens. But one of my chicken had gotten badly hurt. Some how she had moved it up to the knee area. And she had gotten it stuck thru the bone of the knee. We got it out. We put med on her and wrapped the leg with bandages. We tried to put her inside in sick bay. But wants nothing to do with it. She happier with her flock outside. She can still walk jump.has a limp and picks foot up. We also have ones with numbers. My partner doesn't want any of it on birds. So how do we tell difference with less injuries

Back
Top Bottom