Chicken Immobile and incredibly lethargic, need help

Hey guys, update. Her crop has gone down and I've been feeding her a little bit of fried egg throughout the day. I have a water mix with vitamins and other stuff that I still have to feed her.

I'm thinking of doing a parasite treatment, but I was afraid to do it because of how weak she was. She has a lot of energy now but she still lulls over to her right side when she gets tired.

Hey guys, update. Her crop has gone down and I've been feeding her a little bit of fried egg throughout the day. I have a water mix with vitamins and other stuff that I still have to feed her.

I'm thinking of doing a parasite treatment, but I was afraid to do it because of how weak she was. She has a lot of energy now but she still lulls over to her right side when she gets tired.
I'm not sure what else you can try but I wanted to mention that a full grown hen should be eating about 3/4 cup worth of crumbled or pelleted feed a day. If you aren't feeding her that much feed she isn't getting enough nutrition.

What were you feeding her before you found her down?

I would concentrate on feeding her some moistened chicken feed, but a little egg is fine additionally. Is she eating willingly, and how much is she eating? Is she moving any better? Keeping her hydrated and feeding several times a day is important. Tube feeding is fairly easy and quick once learned. Tomorrow after the holiday, you could check with your state vet for details of costs and what to do if she dies, and you need to get a necropsy and tested for Mareks. Let us know how she is doing.

I'm not sure what else you can try but I wanted to mention that a full grown hen should be eating about 3/4 cup worth of crumbled or pelleted feed a day. If you aren't feeding her that much feed she isn't getting enough nutrition.

What were you feeding her before you found her down?
She has a high quality hen layers feed in a trough that remains full all day and all night with a calcium supplement added in and oyster shells in separate bowl if they need more. They have two water bowls with a vitamin supplement that gets changed daily. In the run, they get a fowl feed block to peck at and they get vegetables 2-3x per week. The vegetables are not rotted or moldy, I would never do that.

The rest of the flock is healthy, it's just this one hen that is ill.

Back
Top Bottom