chicken in a trance

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by omelette'smom, Oct 31, 2008.

1. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I watched a show on nat. geo. or something where you lie a chicken of their back, head to the ground, drag your finger on the ground from the tip of the beak, slowly outward for about a foot. they watch your finger and go into a trance. you can leave them that way for a while and they snap out of it. it's a defense tactic in all birds so that hawks etc think they're dead and won't attack. my daughter tried it yesturday (on a very friendly and calm hen) and it worked! we now call her the chicken whisperer and she loves the attention!! The show also showed aligators or was it croc if they are on their backs if you rub under their chins (?) they won't move either!! NOT RECOMMENDED TO TRY!! [​IMG]
    HAPPY HALLOWEEN!![​IMG]

2. omelette'smom

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Oh yeah, I used to work at a lobster pound and if you put lobsters in a head stand and rub their tails, they don't move either!! we used to line up a dozen or so and put them to sleep until we get yelled at to go back to work. (friend's dad owned the pound so we just kinda got pay checks for being cute kids....i don't remember ever having to do much but boy i always managed to stink when i got home!!)

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My SO showed me the chicken trance thing when mine were little. I made him stop. It didn't bother the chickens, but it creeped me out. [​IMG]

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I could swear I remember reading on here that you're not supposed to put them on their backs or upside down for long periods...?

5. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Oh yes, DH loves to show people how he can 'hypnotize' a chicken. Once, years ago, he even did it to someone else's chicken. We went to a horse show, and were boarding our horse on a nearby farm, and there were chickens, and he grabbed one and did his act. It's become a barn legend.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I believe you are correct Wynette. Their lungs are located more to the back and they can suffocate.
    My SO doesn't put them on their backs to do the trance thing. He just uses the flat of his hand to gently push their heads down until their beaks touch the floor. Still works, just funny looking.

7. omelette'smom

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Like I said, it's a built in self defense mechanism that birds have. I don't think the blood rushes to the head or anything harmful or it would be a self inflicted trauma!? The show also had a clip of 3 pigeons who flipped themselves on their backs until a bird of prey flew away....it was kinda creepy!

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Wow....interesting. Whoda thunk it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by