Chicken in Distress

notafarmchick

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Hi there I am new here.
I have a chicken almost a year old. She has been laying for a while now. I have 4 and have been getting 4 eggs daily up until last week. However I am now at 3 a day thought maybe one was not laying. Then I found out they may have been eating eggs themselves after one laid an egg on the lane way and they all attacked it and ate it.Then I found 4 eggs two days in a row.
So yesterday afternoon I noticed one of my hens was constantly wheezing. I brought her in the house,gave her egg shells,food and water and she has eaten,pecked the straw but has continuously "wheezed" all night.. She isn;t laying down or lethargic,has pooped and lets me handle her which normally they don't. Thought she was egg bound,put some lubrication on her vent but still it is pulsing like she wants to go. We don't feel anything bulging or hard.
Any ideas?

Hi there I am new here.
I have a chicken almost a year old. She has been laying for a while now. I have 4 and have been getting 4 eggs daily up until last week. However I am now at 3 a day thought maybe one was not laying. Then I found out they may have been eating eggs themselves after one laid an egg on the lane way and they all attacked it and ate it.Then I found 4 eggs two days in a row.
So yesterday afternoon I noticed one of my hens was constantly wheezing. I brought her in the house,gave her egg shells,food and water and she has eaten,pecked the straw but has continuously "wheezed" all night.. She isn;t laying down or lethargic,has pooped and lets me handle her which normally they don't. Thought she was egg bound,put some lubrication on her vent but still it is pulsing like she wants to go. We don't feel anything bulging or hard.
Any ideas?
Keep watching her vent as she may be thinking your mating her so thats why she's pulsing. Have a feel around her vent and see if you can feel an egg. A warm bath may help if she is egg bound. But the wheezing is suggesting that she has a small respiratory infection which can be treated with anti biotics. Also I doubt they are egg eating. If one of my girls laid an egg on the path mine would do the same. Even if I put eggs on the floor outside they go for them.

WE do have a rooster as well. She is moving around and scratching at the hay,and eating. When I pick her up she does squawk a bit. To get antibiotics,a vet needs to see her?

WE do have a rooster as well. She is moving around and scratching at the hay,and eating. When I pick her up she does squawk a bit. To get antibiotics,a vet needs to see her?
You could explain the situation to them and they might just give them to you. Mine does that as I don't think they know much about chickens.

Well I gave her a bath and she seemed to enjoy it for about 10 mins and then she started freaking out and I had to take her out. I still can't feel where her abdomen is,can anyone explain further where exactly I rub. All I feel is hard bone.

Also I read giving her oatmeal and crushed tums could help but now that I made oatmeal with hot water and she isn't interested I am thinking it was supposed to be dry???She is pretty active,moving around and almost clucking.Trying to find a way out of the cage I have her in. They are used to roaming the yard free.I am thinking I will keep her in until later in the day to see if she lays and then let her out with the others. I don't know what else to do really and the few people I talk to have other methods for dealing with sick chickens and that ends in me having one less chicken.....

Her abdomen is further towards her tail. If you feel bone, you're too far up towards the neck. You can do an internal exam by feeling with a (gloved) finger in her vent and moving it around to feel for masses like an egg that is stuck or something else.

Back
Top Bottom