Chicken in need of help

bugsym00

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 9, 2012
I am new to chicken keeping having a number of Bantoms over the last couple of months one by one they start getting latargic tuck their heads in stop eating then stop drinking drop weight and die. I have feed by syringe but to no availe they give up and die they have been wormed and show no signs of mite. This is for both hens and rosters my rode island reds all seem fine can any one shed any light please

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

What's your weather like at this point?

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
birds are bantams that are dying and two silkies they are about 10 months old they start at a good weight then drop weight suddenly they just stop doing anything tuck up their heads dont want to go out of house and stop eating or drinking. It seems to effect one then it dies all is well and a week or so later the next one starts. There is no sign of trauma no blood and i can see no reason for this occuring.
They birds are all on layers pellets and water with some veg pealing boiled up every now and again.
There po is fine
We have given them pick me up solution and checked for mites and worms they were wormed a little while ago all clear.
They are in a wooden chicken house with 5 nest boxes three roosting pearches and the house is four foot by three foot by five foot tall there is shavings on the floor and hay in the nest boxes.
Any help greatfully recieved

The best thing you can do is get a necropsy of one of your deceased birds. That is the only way to be absolutely sure what is happening. If you check your local Dept of Agriculture page, find your State Veterinarian. Call and ask where you might get a free or low cost necropsy.

i'm so sorry for your loss. It must be very frustrating and difficult for you. We can only guess here, and hopefully others will have some good guesses. But a necropsy will tell you for sure.

I had a similar problem with some rescue chicks I had. I did everything I could think of 2 rounds of antiboitic 2 different kinds, dewormed and the last thing I tried was Corid. I have really good idea it was Cocci all along. Mine didnt stop eating or drinking until the day the died. I never thought it could be that because there was no blood in poop turns out that only one kind presents that way. Not sure if this what your birds have just a thought though.

Another thought is you said you have hay as bedding I would get a really good look at the hay all around the coop and make sure there is no mold on it. Hay molds really easily. Im not sure where you are at but down south we have had alot of rain this fall and winter and it doesnt take much moisture to make it mold this is one reason I dont use it. I use pine shavings. If you find any thats moldy you need to get rid of it asap and find something that will kill the mold spores maybe bleach or possible Oxine(I havent used it yet so might want to do a little more research to see it will kill mold). Just another thought.

Back
Top Bottom