Chicken in the City

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickiesmom, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Chickiesmom

Chickiesmom Hatching

Jun 29, 2010
    Hello. I recently adopted a Rhode Island Red chicken who is approximately 8-10 weeks old, female. We live in the suburbs with a fenced in 40' x 25' yard with low deck. We let her have the run of the yard and she hides under the deck when out alone. She has access to a cage with food and water. We do not currently let her out at night alone. She stays in the house, safe from predators. Is this healthy for her for now until she is a little older and we get a bigger and more secure cage/pen for her? Do chickens do well by themselves? Right now she enjoys hanging out with us when we are in the yard, she helps me with weeding my garden. We currently have no other pets. We have never had any problems with any animals in the yard other than a rabbit now and then. When will she start laying eggs? I would appreciate any tips or advise. Having a chicken so far has been great and she seems to like hanging out with us but does not like to be touched and she runs from us if we reach for her but settles once she is in your hand. I just don't want her to be lonely and if need be, we can take her back to the farm when she is big enough to handle herself against the grown hens. Oh, how big does a female RIR grow to be?

2. schellie69

schellie69 Songster

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Chicken's are flock animals they usually do better with at least one other chicken friend. I would get another hen that is about the same age as yours to have as a friend. Right now going in at night is fine until you can build a coop/pen for her. I would check your city rules and see if keeping chickens is allowed if it is I would just keep her. good luck

3. Frza

Frza In the Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Portland
    she needs at least one other hen. A life of solitude will be sad for her.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

At least one other pullet (hen), if not two. She won't lay eggs until around 18 - 24 weeks. I wouldn't hold my breath, either, until around the 24th week. That way you can be pleasantly surprised if she starts laying earlier! [​IMG]

5. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Songster

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    She needs a friend to run with...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: