Chicken Inborn Instincts

BroodyCluck

Songster
6 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Cleveland, Texas
I recently hatched some chicken eggs in an incubator. I just wanted to add a new small batch to the ones I already have.
I was given a dozen large eggs from a nearby neighbor of various mixed breeds. Then I found a deal on 7 Bresse hatching eggs and bought them to incubate at the same time. I was pleased that 6 out of the 7 of the Bresses eggs hatched. And of course they were all light yellow and turned white after they grew their feathers. Out of the 12 various mixed breed eggs, only 4 hatched. One mixed breed chick was light yellow just like the Bresses. So I immediately got a cotton tip and marked it with blue food coloring so I wouldn't confuse it with the Bresses. It too turned all white like the Bresses when feathers developed. It looked identical to the Bresses, So I thought, "what are the chances?" Then I called the neighbor. No, she has no Bresses but some of her mixed breed are white hens. Father Rooster to all is a Buff Orpington mix.
These 10 chicks were cared for in my make shift rigged brooder for 8 weeks. Every several days, I re marked the white mixed breed to be absolutely sure that I didnt confuse it with the Bresses because later I intend to breed only the Bresses and I will separate them.
Well a few days ago I decided it's time to let them forage for the fitst time at 8 weeks of age. I'm amazed because the group of 4 mixed breeds went together on one side of the 75 ft lot. While the group of 6 Bresse go to the other side. I didn't expect this since they were all hatched together and spent their lives together in the box. At least that solid white mixed breed it seems would have believed it belonged to the Bresse group, but no, it joined the mixed breeds. When they put themselves up it's will always 6 Bresses on the far right (West ) and the 4 mixed on the far left (East).
Okay so they know they are different. Born instinct. The groups do not squabble or fight and come together briefly to eat and drink then go back with their own group.
I've always seen my older chickens stay with their own breed (Ive always had more than 1 breed ) but I never expected these young ones to have a clue about that.
This morning I didn't see any chicks. I looked up and saw hawks flying over head. We have always had a lot hawks but none has ever snatched one of my chickens although I'm Leary of them and I've had chickens since 2012. Once I know of one trying, but the heavy hen was able to get free. But this morning I truely believed the hawks had snatched these young small chicks.
Then I looked around. I found the young chicks hiding under a portable building. Again 6 Bresses one side and 4 mixed on the opposite end. So the chicks had the instinct to hide while the hawks were over head. My grown chickens go into the pen and call out squawking to one another when hawks are circling. These youngsters stayed silent. I found that amazing. When hawks went away, the chicks came back out.

I recently hatched some chicken eggs in an incubator. I just wanted to add a new small batch to the ones I already have.
I was given a dozen large eggs from a nearby neighbor of various mixed breeds. Then I found a deal on 7 Bresse hatching eggs and bought them to incubate at the same time. I was pleased that 6 out of the 7 of the Bresses eggs hatched. And of course they were all light yellow and turned white after they grew their feathers. Out of the 12 various mixed breed eggs, only 4 hatched. One mixed breed chick was light yellow just like the Bresses. So I immediately got a cotton tip and marked it with blue food coloring so I wouldn't confuse it with the Bresses. It too turned all white like the Bresses when feathers developed. It looked identical to the Bresses, So I thought, "what are the chances?" Then I called the neighbor. No, she has no Bresses but some of her mixed breed are white hens. Father Rooster to all is a Buff Orpington mix.
These 10 chicks were cared for in my make shift rigged brooder for 8 weeks. Every several days, I re marked the white mixed breed to be absolutely sure that I didnt confuse it with the Bresses because later I intend to breed only the Bresses and I will separate them.
Well a few days ago I decided it's time to let them forage for the fitst time at 8 weeks of age. I'm amazed because the group of 4 mixed breeds went together on one side of the 75 ft lot. While the group of 6 Bresse go to the other side. I didn't expect this since they were all hatched together and spent their lives together in the box. At least that solid white mixed breed it seems would have believed it belonged to the Bresse group, but no, it joined the mixed breeds. When they put themselves up it's will always 6 Bresses on the far right (West ) and the 4 mixed on the far left (East).
Okay so they know they are different. Born instinct. The groups do not squabble or fight and come together briefly to eat and drink then go back with their own group.
I've always seen my older chickens stay with their own breed (Ive always had more than 1 breed ) but I never expected these young ones to have a clue about that.
This morning I didn't see any chicks. I looked up and saw hawks flying over head. We have always had a lot hawks but none has ever snatched one of my chickens although I'm Leary of them and I've had chickens since 2012. Once I know of one trying, but the heavy hen was able to get free. But this morning I truely believed the hawks had snatched these young small chicks.
Then I looked around. I found the young chicks hiding under a portable building. Again 6 Bresses one side and 4 mixed on the opposite end. So the chicks had the instinct to hide while the hawks were over head. My grown chickens go into the pen and call out squawking to one another when hawks are circling. These youngsters stayed silent. I found that amazing. When hawks went away, the chicks came back out.

My 4 mixed breed chicks.

Attachments

• 20200220_160200.jpg
    20200220_160200.jpg
    707 KB · Views: 8
Very nice story. I think your picture posts did not come out correctly. There was no picture for the 6 Bresse pic, and the 4 mixed breed pic looks like your 6 Bresse chicks.

Anyway, I hope to hear more about your Bresse chicks as they grow. Where did you get them from? Nobody locally to me sells them.

Very nice story. I think your picture posts did not come out correctly. There was no picture for the 6 Bresse pic, and the 4 mixed breed pic looks like your 6 Bresse chicks.

Anyway, I hope to hear more about your Bresse chicks as they grow. Where did you get them from? Nobody locally to me sells them.
Oh thank u I see my mixed breed pic didn't post. I'll try again.

I got Bresse eggs from ebay. After I lost a bid another seller sent me a good offer on 7 eggs. I read up on them and decided I wanted them. I'm disappointed that 3 and maybe 4 (not positive) are roos. So that leaves me only 2 maybe 3 hens. But I believe I can manage to breed them and get more.

I got Bresse eggs from ebay. After I lost a bid another seller sent me a good offer on 7 eggs. I read up on them and decided I wanted them. I'm disappointed that 3 and maybe 4 (not positive) are roos. So that leaves me only 2 maybe 3 hens. But I believe I can manage to breed them and get more.
My 4 mixed breed chicks.
20200220_160009.jpg

No one around me sells Bresse cbickens either or seems familiar with them. I lost money same place trying to establish what is called Aun Hens. A dozen eggs, none hatched.
Oh thank u I see my mixed breed pic didn't post. I'll try again.
I got Bresse eggs from ebay. After I lost a bid another seller sent me a good offer on 7 eggs. I read up on them and decided I wanted them. I'm disappointed that 3 and maybe 4 (not positive) are roos. So that leaves me only 2 maybe 3 hens. But I believe I can manage to breed these and have more hens.

Back
Top Bottom