Chicken injured in sever weather

May 22, 2024
Due to some cloud rotation in our area, our yard barn blew into our coop & run last night. My husband went out in the storm & rescued all 5 of our chickens but one of the buffs had a toe injury.
We set up a pen in the garage for the girls last night & cleaned the toe with sterile saline spray & antibacterial spray. Then covered with gauze & tape. This morning we set up a makeshift run/coop as the one we had received pretty sever damage. Then I repeated the foot cleaning process. Will this wound heal on its own if we keep cleaning & covering it? First photo is right after it happened. Second photo is this morning before cleaning/covering. We have had chickens for 1 year now & this is our first injury. Thank you for all advice!

Attachments

• IMG_3817.jpeg
    IMG_3817.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3833.jpeg
    IMG_3833.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 3
Hi.

...Personally, if ever I had no Cade Oil in my house, then I would just put her feet in mix of warm water, Olive Oil, and honey during 30 minutes, at least twice a day if possible...
(If 30 minutes are too complicated, 5 minutes would also work...)
After what, I would put raw Olive Oil directly on her wounded foot, and then isolate her in a small run so she could not worsen her injury, but also so the other chickens would not hurt her more...

For what it's worth : I'm used to this method to heal chickens' bloody wounds, and to this day, it has always worked...! (Easy, cheap, and natural...!)
(Cade Oil alone would also work splendidly, but I don't think you would have any...?)

Back
Top Bottom