Chicken injured laying large egg, some experience needed!

mrhoward

Hatching
Aug 16, 2016
Hi all,

One of my sisters young pullets (haven't long been laying) appears to have laid a huge egg (apparently literally two eggs in shell) and in the process suffered some sort of injury to her vent (please excuse my lack of knowledge, I am relaying this on their behalf).

This happened on Saturday. She was really unwell Sunday and yesterday to the point she was going to leave this mortal coil, however upon the advice of the breeder, sugared water, mealworms and isolation and she appears much improved today, drinking water and generally scratching. Obviously she isn't laying again, which is not a concern as they are pets first and foremost.

However, what concerns me as medic is the large amount of exudate, pus-looking liquid that appears around the vent. Again, please excuse my naivete as I have not bathed/cleaned her personally. Apparently this exudate is malodorous. It is very pale in colour, almost an off-white. There is no obvious bleeding now, although there was at the time. In fact I am reliably informed that the 3 other chickens were "attacking" the blood, which made a distressing scene even worse!

Treatment so far has been isolation while resting at evening, daily bathing in low concentration salt water and mealworms.

Just wondering if anyone else has expericenced this, and if any antiseptics/antibiotics are available, either home remedy or bought.

Many thanks!

Hi all,

One of my sisters young pullets (haven't long been laying) appears to have laid a huge egg (apparently literally two eggs in shell) and in the process suffered some sort of injury to her vent (please excuse my lack of knowledge, I am relaying this on their behalf).

This happened on Saturday. She was really unwell Sunday and yesterday to the point she was going to leave this mortal coil, however upon the advice of the breeder, sugared water, mealworms and isolation and she appears much improved today, drinking water and generally scratching. Obviously she isn't laying again, which is not a concern as they are pets first and foremost.

However, what concerns me as medic is the large amount of exudate, pus-looking liquid that appears around the vent. Again, please excuse my naivete as I have not bathed/cleaned her personally. Apparently this exudate is malodorous. It is very pale in colour, almost an off-white. There is no obvious bleeding now, although there was at the time. In fact I am reliably informed that the 3 other chickens were "attacking" the blood, which made a distressing scene even worse!

Treatment so far has been isolation while resting at evening, daily bathing in low concentration salt water and mealworms.

Just wondering if anyone else has expericenced this, and if any antiseptics/antibiotics are available, either home remedy or bought.

Many thanks!

It sounds like it's under control :) salt water is a great method and if she's perking up and showing interest in life again then you're doing it right
1f44d.png

Back
Top Bottom