Chicken integration and new run area

Ok, here are some other ideas.
  • Can you let the big girls out of the coop/run? Keep the chicks in the bigger space? They really just need some time in that big space without the big girls.
  • Could you put one or two of the most aggressive birds in the chick place?
  • Set up a hiding place in the coop, chicks will often times just sleep on the floor, and then eventually work their way up to the roosts.
Wait - put your hide out up against the chick pen opening. I like the way it can be approached by multiple sides. Then let them work it out. Eventually the chicks will venture forth and escape back to their security spot ON THEIR TERMS.

Having similar hideouts through out the area is good. More clutter the better.

I think you are a bit tight on space for integration, so if all else fails, get some pin-less peepers. They can really help in smaller set ups.

Mrs K
Sorry, pin less peepers?

So, I tried the integration today….ugh! One of my blue australorps actually picked up the younger black australorp by the scruff of the neck and lifted her up, taking some feathers with it. Is this normal? It was heartbreaking to see. I am a little surprised that they were so aggressive. I just need to know if this is normal, or should I wait to integrate a little longer? Please advise! Thanks
It's not abnormal... I've had a similar thing happen (in my case, the hen threw the chick) but I didn't interfere. The chicks learned very quickly to stay away from that particular hen.

Did the older bird continue going after the younger ones after that, or is that where you stepped in?

It's not abnormal... I've had a similar thing happen (in my case, the hen threw the chick) but I didn't interfere. The chicks learned very quickly to stay away from that particular hen.

Did the older bird continue going after the younger ones after that, or is that where you stepped in?
I stepped in and put the chicks back in their separate cage in the run😳

I just finished integrating my chicks with my hens and posted about the process I used. I did pretty much everything you did. I added a lot of hidey spots for them (lattice, side-turned patio table, pallet) and then several perches for them to escape. My blue australorp was also the problem chicken. She never went super crazy but would chase and peck a lot at first. It's hard not to intervene and just observe, but I tried to just let them work it out. You can read about my entire experience here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/integration-of-new-chicks-into-existing-flock-how-its-going.1536185/#post-25973334
If she were to get more aggressive or not settle down, I'd probably have put just her in chicken timeout in a separate area.

I just finished integrating my chicks with my hens and posted about the process I used. I did pretty much everything you did. I added a lot of hidey spots for them (lattice, side-turned patio table, pallet) and then several perches for them to escape. My blue australorp was also the problem chicken. She never went super crazy but would chase and peck a lot at first. It's hard not to intervene and just observe, but I tried to just let them work it out. You can read about my entire experience here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-flock-how-its-going.1536185/#post-25973334
If she were to get more aggressive or not settle down, I'd probably have put just her in chicken timeout in a separate area.
Thank you! This does make me feel like I am not alone in this. I think I am going to kee doing what I have been doing and let the young ones get a little bigger, maybe at 12 weeks…? That might help them stand their ground a little better (without me freaking out…lol).

Thank you! This does make me feel like I am not alone in this. I think I am going to kee doing what I have been doing and let the young ones get a little bigger, maybe at 12 weeks…? That might help them stand their ground a little better (without me freaking out…lol).
Keep us posted on how it is going. Good luck! It will work out in the end. Time is what helps the most.

Back
Top Bottom