Chicken is crying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TeeTee315, Aug 17, 2016.

1. TeeTee315

TeeTee315 New Egg

Aug 17, 2016
    One of my hens is making a constant high pitched crying sound. Is she in pain? Do I need to help her out in some way?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Is she about to start laying?

3. TeeTee315

TeeTee315 New Egg

Aug 17, 2016
    Actually I think she may have stopped or slowed down laying. She is a 1 yr old Americana. She lays bluish eggs. I have 2 Americanas. I think only the other 1 is laying cause I have fewer blue eggs recently. She seems to be eating and drinking well enough, and she looks OK. She just has this constant crying/wheezing sound. I don't know how to check if she is egg bound. I will try to figure that out and check into it. Could it be the heat? We are in central NC and it has been nearly 100 degrees for days.
    I am new to chickens, having only started with my flock of 6 chickens last year. So this is new and concerning. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

4. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I have a hen who often makes a constant high pitched whining sound when I'm around. I think of it as complaining, but maybe it's not. Maybe she's just talking. She's about a year old, and has been doing this for a long time. Is it a new behavior for yours?
    Yes, they slow down laying in the heat.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post a video of her making this sound?

6. TeeTee315

TeeTee315 New Egg

Aug 17, 2016
    I have tried downloading a video several times. But it won't go through. I live pretty far out in the country and we have terrible internet. I will keep trying, maybe it will eventually go through.
    I will say that it is not talking. I have 2 marans that a little chatterboxes. They 'talk' all the time. This Americana just started yesterday with this constant wheezing/crying. As I said, I will continue to try to download the video.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by