Chicken is Eggbound

Jul 13, 2018
Southern California
Hello my hen is egg bound. She has been egg bound before and I put her in the bath with salts and warm water. It came out and she was fine. She's egg bound again. I used all the salts from the last time. I don't have any more salts. They are very expensive. Would it work without the salts? Is there another way I can get her egg out? Is there a substitute for salt that any of you know? If you have any advice, that would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

The salts don’t matter. It is the warmth of the bath, and you can even just put her on a thick moist towel sat on a heat pad set to LOW. Have you inserted a finger into her bent to feel for the stuck egg? Can you give her a 1/2 Tums or calcium tablet to help increase her muscle contractions? Offer some water in a cup as well.

The salts don’t matter. It is the warmth of the bath, and you can even just put her on a thick moist towel sat on a heat pad set to LOW. Have you inserted a finger into her bent to feel for the stuck egg? Can you give her a 1/2 Tums or calcium tablet to help increase her muscle contractions? Offer some water in a cup as well.

Oh. I did not know that about the salts. I heard they calmed her muscles. I'll follow your advice about giving her the calcium tablet and using the towel. I'll check her vent soon.

I tried the bath and nothing came out. I felt around her vent and felt nothing. But, she pooped a little bit. But, she hasn't pooped since. I dried her up and put her back in her roost. I put a plate under her spot, so I can see if she pooped or not. I'm praying she does poop and lays soon. I don't think she is egg bound, but she can't poop. It may be something else.

If you didn't feel an egg, she may be constipated.
When she did poop, was it runny, discolored, etc.?
I had a rooster who was seriously constipated and what fixed him up was some vaseline, a hot compress, and a molasses flush.

She pooped in the hot bath. Her poop was normal. I think she may be constipated. If she's worst tomorrow, I may take her to an avian vet. If she's pooping, I'll see what I can do from there.

Do you feel inside the vent with a finger, or just around her vent? Sometimes they get a buildup of urates or stool inside the vent opening. Some get something called papillomas, small growths, as well. I would imagine the avian vet would be expensive, but that is a good thing, if she is still having problems. Here is a good article to read on the causes of egg binding:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms/

Do you feel inside the vent with a finger, or just around her vent? Sometimes they get a buildup of urates or stool inside the vent opening. Some get something called papillomas, small growths, as well. I would imagine the avian vet would be expensive, but that is a good thing, if she is still having problems. Here is a good article to read on the causes of egg binding:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms/

Thanks for the information. I gave her a second bath today. Nothing came out but a bit of poop. I dried her up and put her back. There may be some kind of buildup of poop in her bottom. I don't know if it is poop or fat. Today I gave them calcium and tommorow I'm going to put electrolites in their water. I'm hoping for the best. Fingers crossed.:fl I checked her vent and can't fell an egg or even shards. All I felt was poop. So, I think that it can be constipation. I lubricated her vent and she pooped a little bit when I was drying her so I think that could have been a good sign. I can't take her to a vet because I have to get a certification of some sort. It will take way to long to get it so I suppose i have to do it myself. I'm going to check on her tommorow. I really hope she does not die. I really love her. Fingers crossed and praying!

Back
Top Bottom