Chicken is inactive, sitting on the ground, doesn't eat.

Luciana069

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2020
I have three chickens. One of them is inactive. She sits on the ground. She almost doesn't eat anything while the others do. I just noticed it today. What could it be?
I don't know what's the race, but here's a picture and video.
The English videos and forums I find says egg bound is a common cause of this symptoms, but I I'm from Argentina and the people I know from here who have chickens haven't mentioned that problem to me.

More information:

I found her like this today. In previous days I didn't saw her sitting on the ground like this and being inactive. But I can't be sure she wasn't less active and I just didn't noticed.

She raises her head. Today she hasn't been sitting on the ground all day. She also standed on her feet and stayed still.

She is 18 months old.

She eats balanced food for egg-laying chickens, vegetables and things she find on the ground, like worms.

She's drinking water. Today I had the impression she was drinking too much water, in fact. Why could that be?

I picked her up and brought her inside my house, but I don't know what's wrong with her. I don't know how to do a proper examination. The only things I notice are:
• She has less feathers on her tail than the other chickens.
• She also has the feathers in her neck a little weird. The others have their plumage tidy in the neck, but this chicken doesn't and you can see her skin a little.

I don't know when was the last time she laid an egg, since I have three chickens and all of them lay their eggs in the same place. I found and egg today but it could be from other chicken.

Attachments

• received_989247721503861.jpeg
    received_989247721503861.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I have three chickens. One of them is inactive. She sits on the ground. She doesn't eat much while the others do. I just noticed it. What could it be?
The English videos and forums I find says egg baund is a common cause of this symptoms, but I I'm from Argentina and the people I know from here who have chickens haven't mentioned that problem to me.
Here's another picture.

Attachments

• received_276784546981478.jpeg
    received_276784546981478.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 21
So sorry about your hen. She definitely looks like she is feeling poorly. How long has she been this way? Does she ever raise her head? How old is she? What does she eat? Is she drinking? Have you picked her up to examine her? You mentioned egg binding - how long since she last laid an egg?

Try to post some more details - there are lots of knowledgeable people here who can help. Good luck with getting her well!!

I found her like this today. In previous days I didn't saw her sitting on the ground like this and being inactive. But I can't be sure she wasn't less active and I just didn't noticed.
Yes, she raises her head. Today she was not sitting on the ground all day. She also standed on her feet and stayed still.
She is 18 months old.
She eats balanced food for egg-laying chickens, vegetables and things she find on the ground, like worms.
Yes, she drinks. Today I had the impression she was drinking too much water, in fact. Why could that be?
I picked her up and brought her inside my house, but I don't know what's wrong with her. I don't know how to do a proper examination. The only things I notice are:
She has less feathers on her tail than the other chickens. She also has the feathers in her neck a little messy. The others have their plumage tidy in the neck, but this chicken doesn't and you can see her skin a little.
I don't know when was the last time she laid an egg, since I have three chickens and all of them lay their eggs in the same place. I found one egg today but it could be from other chicken.

I'm not sure what is going on, but like eggsandhens I am wondering if it is very hot weather there? I have had hens get lethargic and really thirsty during heat waves. I give my girls electrolytes during summer if they seem off. Here is a blog with a recipe for electrolytes in case the heat is an issue: https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2017/05/how-to-make-homemade-electrolytes-for.html

Also, here is a good article about doing chicken health exams: https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-checkup-diy-physical-exam/

I have three chickens. One of them is inactive. She sits on the ground. She almost doesn't eat anything while the others do. I just noticed it today. What could it be?
The English videos and forums I find says egg bound is a common cause of this symptoms, but I I'm from Argentina and the people I know from here who have chickens haven't mentioned that problem to me.

More information:

She raises her head. Today she hasn't been sitting on the ground all day. She also standed on her feet and stayed still.

She is 18 months old.

She's drinking water. Today I had the impression she was drinking too much water, in fact. Why could that be?

• She has less feathers on her tail than the other chickens.
• She also has the feathers in her neck a little weird. The others have their plumage tidy in the neck, but this chicken doesn't and you can see her skin a little.

I don't know when was the last time she laid an egg, since I have three chickens and all of them lay their eggs in the same place. I found and egg today but it could be from other chicken.
I just found a chicken laid a weird egg today. It's bigger than usual and it has a different colour. Could it be it was a stucked egg?
This is a normal egg vs the egg I found today:
Could the colour be a symptom?

Attachments

• received_281584133096606.jpeg
    received_281584133096606.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 13
Do all of your chickens get along well? How hot is outside?
Yes, I think they get along. But the one that looked sick is a little more isolated from the rest of the group. It also seems to be the dominant when it's time to eat.
Today here it's 16c. It's winter. What's an adequate temperature for chickens?

Back
Top Bottom