Chicken is just hanging out in nesting box but not broody

kasophia

Hatching
Apr 11, 2016
I have a chicken, not sure on age, might be 2 and she is a bard bantam. Recently she has taken to sitting in the nesting boxes and staying there. I have had broody chickens before and she is not broody. She gets up to eat and drink and comes out if she knows there is a treat being given but other then that she sits in her box.
She doesn't appear ill, I don't think she is egg bound but I am going to examine her a bit tonight.
Thoughts?

Are you sure she isn't broody? What makes you think she isn't? My broodies do the same thing - in the box except to eat and drink or to come get treats if I'm doling them out.

I agree with previous reply. Some broody hens come off the nest more than others.

I have a Bantam Cochin and she's notoriously broody. At least once a month she goes on a two week stretch of "nesting box and chill." She comes out to eat and drink, even hangs out with the flock mates to free range when I open the pen. After rec time is over she goes straight to the nesting box and gives me hell if I try to remove her.

She may just be thinking about going broody at this point...full on broody could be imminent.
Is she being picked on and hiding out?

Back
Top Bottom