Chicken is lethargic and not herself - please help!

Isabel Allen

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2021
Hi all,

My ex battery hybrid hen has been acting strange for about two days. This happens sometimes, especially with this hen, and usually it resolves itself. I always assumed it was a normal thing. Chicken behaves strangely for a day or so and then is back to her usual self. I'm now starting to wonder if it's not as normal as I'd hoped.

She is quite lethargic, she's decently receptive to her environment but won't move to look at things, she just turns her head. She doesn't forage much at all but I gave her some scrambled eggs (an all time favourite) and she ate enthusiastically. She was drinking too. She has occasional bursts of energy where she'll run up to people and wants to see what's happening. I also noticed her breathing strangely (could see her chest moving which is unusual but I thought maybe it's just because she's not moving as much so it's more noticeable). She'll normally stay in one place and sometimes shuts her eyes.

The weather has been fluctuating lately (I live in England so it's still very mild), and the flock has just been let out into the full garden again after bird flu lockdown. Could she have an upset stomach? They've been on pretty much pellets only for the last few months and have suddenly been let out to eat all sorts. I haven't seen any droppings that look unusual.

I can't take her to the vet today, and vet doesn't see chickens often so I'd rather treat at home if possible. Still, I will take her if it's necessary. Is this kind of behaviour normal in older chickens? She's only about three but as I said she's an ex battery rescue..

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be so grateful x

How long have you had her? Could it be that she's just not used to freedom and doesn't know what to do with herself?

You say after a couple days of lethargy, she gets back to normal. What is normal for her?

Also, when she is standing still, are there other hens nearby? I've seen subordinate hens get very still when a dominant hen is near. I think maybe they are trying to avoid drawing unwanted attention.

Have you given her a thorough inspection? Feel her crop and abdomen... see if she squishy anywhere. Feel her keel bone... is she a good weight? Vent clean? no parasites? Clear eyes? Breathing normally?

If she is eating and pooping normally, that's a good sign. If she does have something wrong, I think you have caught it early.

How long have you had her? Could it be that she's just not used to freedom and doesn't know what to do with herself?

You say after a couple days of lethargy, she gets back to normal. What is normal for her?

Also, when she is standing still, are there other hens nearby? I've seen subordinate hens get very still when a dominant hen is near. I think maybe they are trying to avoid drawing unwanted attention.

Have you given her a thorough inspection? Feel her crop and abdomen... see if she squishy anywhere. Feel her keel bone... is she a good weight? Vent clean? no parasites? Clear eyes? Breathing normally?

If she is eating and pooping normally, that's a good sign. If she does have something wrong, I think you have caught it early.
dumb question...i usually go out to the coop in the morning and evening during weekdays...we are often gone on weekends during ski season. how would you know if one chicken was drinking or eating normally...or which poop was hers in the coop? how could you even track any of this?

dumb question...i usually go out to the coop in the morning and evening during weekdays...we are often gone on weekends during ski season. how would you know if one chicken was drinking or eating normally...or which poop was hers in the coop? how could you even track any of this?
i had a hard enough time just trying to figure which hen was still laying eggs on the floor...and finally gave up at the same time she stopped laying on the floor. so frustrating

I don't think you would know from that sort of casual observation. If a chicken is acting "off" you can put it in a cage for closer observation and monitor eating and drinking. Sometimes "off" is very subtle... little quiet, on its own, slightly puffed up. If you see some unhealthy looking poo in the coop, the depositor usually has some stuck on its backside. By the time we notice a problem, they are usually well into the disease or illness. It is their nature to hide symptoms from the flock.

It's a good idea to take a few minutes to observe your flock every day... look at overall energy levels and behaviors. Night checks for weight and parasites while they are on the roosts, couple times a month can head off problems. Pick em up and see how hefty they are. Helps if someone can hold the flashlight.

As for who lays eggs when and where, a game cam might help you out. We used one to find who was eating eggs. It was jays, as I expected.

I would guess it depends how many chickens you have and how well you know them. I only have nine and know each of their behaviors really well. When one is off- I can tell.

I've had her for almost two years, and usually (it's happened two or three times with her, and once with each other chicken) she will look off for about two days and then be back to her normal self. She seems to be worse today, she's behaving the same but she's choosing to hide under things instead of being out in the open. The other hens are currently near her, but they come and go. I don't think it's a dominance thing.

She doesn't seem to have lost any weight. Her crop seems clear but the feathers around her vent are fairly dirty - they have been for a while. No visible parasites. Her eyes are clear, and as for her breathing I'm not fully sure what normal chicken breathing looks like but I can see her chest moving with each breath. Is that normal? Her abdomen feels soft, rounded and easily massaged, if a bit small.

She's moving around with the others now, though, which is a good sign I think. Still not herself but she seems to have energy and the will to live at least.

I've had her for almost two years, and usually (it's happened two or three times with her, and once with each other chicken) she will look off for about two days and then be back to her normal self. She seems to be worse today, she's behaving the same but she's choosing to hide under things instead of being out in the open. The other hens are currently near her, but they come and go. I don't think it's a dominance thing.

She doesn't seem to have lost any weight. Her crop seems clear but the feathers around her vent are fairly dirty - they have been for a while. No visible parasites. Her eyes are clear, and as for her breathing I'm not fully sure what normal chicken breathing looks like but I can see her chest moving with each breath. Is that normal? Her abdomen feels soft, rounded and easily massaged, if a bit small.

She's moving around with the others now, though, which is a good sign I think. Still not herself but she seems to have energy and the will to live at least.
What exactly do you feed your flock?

Her belly area...does it feel water/squishy like or firm/harder like?
Can you compare her belly area to another few bird's belly area?

Her belly area...does it feel water/squishy like or firm/harder like?
Can you compare her belly area to another few bird's belly area?
I took her to the vet and it turns out it was very swollen. I had no idea, I thought that was normal. Anyway, she's on antibiotics and hopefully she'll be back to normal. I was right about the breathing too. Poor girl is working hard just to breathe.

I took her to the vet and it turns out it was very swollen. I had no idea, I thought that was normal. Anyway, she's on antibiotics and hopefully she'll be back to normal. I was right about the breathing too. Poor girl is working hard just to breathe.
Hopefully you started the antibiotics in time.

If she's had an infection brewing for a while she may not recover even with antibiotics now.

Back
Top Bottom