Chicken is limping, I think is may be broken, PLEASE HELP!

One of my roosters injured a leg not too long ago. First day he wouldn't walk on it. Just laid around. Each day he very slowly used the leg. Then he walked w/ a bad limp for over a week. Now he uses the leg just fine. Sometimes he seems to favor it a bit. Overall it has taken over a month for him to walk normal on it.

Different bird but similar situation with my cockatiel whose leg was injured by a too-eager young friend. He couldn't stand on it at all for a few weeks, eventually put a bit more weight on it, and, while he still occasionally holds it up, he seems good as new now. But the anti-inflammatories definitely help.

one of my little buffs held her foot up, limped and did not want to put weight on the foot. i think she jumped from the roost and hit the edge of the wood that keeps the waterer above the litter.
i used a narrow bowl of warm salt water and held her in my lap with her foot in the salt water for about 5 minutes.We did this several times a day for about 4-5 days and she started putting weight on it it after the second day.
She was okay in a week...don't know if this will help but i thought i'd let you know... good luck with your baby...

I gave her gatorade/water mix last night, and some yogurt and scratch this morning. She still seems to be favoring her leg. how would i feed her the anti-inflammatories?

Crush 1 baby aspirin (81 mg) into 1 cup of HER (!) drinking water. If she is not readily drinking, cut up little pieces of her favorite fruits (blueberries and grapes are loved by my birds) and dunk the fruit in the aspirin water. Hand feed the fruit - if she eats the fruit she will begin to get some of the pain killer into her and may be more inclined to eat and drink on her own (pain makes it hard to eat and drink normally).

Keep her in a comfy place where she cannot jump up onto or down off of things. The idea is to give the leg rest. If it is broken or dislocated, professional help is strongly advised for proper setting. If it's 'just' sprained or similar, rest and time and good nutrition will take care of the problem..............

Jj

Quote:
I didn't have a baby aspirin, so i rushed a regular asprin into a small piece and put it in Fred's water. he also laid me an egg today. Ive been giving hom scratch and yogurt, plus the water/gatorade mix. Anyone think anything else i should do?

Take care not to overdose her on meds. There is a big difference between an 81 mg baby aspirin and a 325 mg regular aspirin. She will probably be okay because 81 mg/cup water is a safe low dose and maybe you mixed the 325 mg aspirin with a larger quantity of water but all you need to do to make the equivalent of a baby aspirin is to cut a regular aspirin into 4 pieces. Make a fresh batch of aspirin water at least daily.

What is this bird's regular diet? You've been mentioning scratch.

JJ

Quote:
That's what I did, i cut the aspirin into 4 pieces. Each day, in their feeder, I give them a scoop of layer crumble and somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 a scoop of scratch, depending on weather they were able to free range that day, and/or if i gave them extra treats like bread of salad.

Sounds okay...
How is she doing today?
fl.gif

JJ

Back
Top Bottom