Chicken is limping, I think is may be broken, PLEASE HELP!

Jeeper1540

Songster
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
The Canyons of Nevada
He is a 2 year old welsummer cross hen. (His name is Fred, so i have a habit of calling her a "he" sorry its confusing)
This morning i went out to the coop, and he was on the ground, stretching his leg. I thought maybe he was having a hard time getting an egg out or something and was trying different things. well I just went down and he barely wants to step on the leg. I brought him in and put him on the table, and started feeling his leg. He didn't really want me to touch it, and it seemed to be more sensitive as i went up to the second bone. (thigh bone i guess?). I put him in a pet carrier. is it broken? could it be something else? and should i give him some pedialyte and yogurt? Please help! do you need any more info?

There really is no way to tell if it is broken unless it an open fracture or you can feel the break, other than having an x-ray done. A break would have a lot of swelling and bruising. I have had simple leg injuries (sprains or strains) happen here too. My roo could barely walk after he tripped over a weed. I ended up having to put him in a dog crate in a quiet room for a full week. He was fine after that week. I have a young pullet with what appears to be the same problem in isolation right now.

You just need to check to make sure your bird has circulation in the injured leg. You should feel warmth when you touch it. Also check to see if she can grasp your finger with her foot, it is a very good sign if she can. My roo did not grasp for a few days though. Isolate in a cage and leave her alone. She will not be happy. Only go in to feed, water, and quickly evaluate. Check for signs of illness during this time.

It is possible she has dislocated something. Feel each leg and hip and compare. If one side feel different, that may be the problem.

There is a link in my signature with more info on foot/leg injuries. I would not attempt to make a brace or splint unless you are sure you know what is wrong.

I hope she gets well soon. Good luck.
smile.png

Edited to add: I do use Gatoraid. I would start diluting it with water after a day or two. It has a lot of sugar that wouldn't be good for her for a long period of time.

Last edited:
I cannot feel or see a break, but he wouldn't really let me touch it. maybe he just sprained it jumping off the roost?

ETA: I think he may be laying an egg now. hes in the corner of the cage throwing straw on himself as if he wants to lay an egg

Quote:

Last edited:
Quote:

It could be just sprained. Do you have a place to cage her? If so, you probably should. It will get worse if she keeps walking on it.
Are you sure it is a leg injury? Could she be eggbound?

Last edited:
I thought she was eggbound, but why would that make her favor one of her legs? and when i touch her leg she pulls it up. maybe she has just been holding the egg in because she couldn't jump to the box with the sprained leg? and yes she is in a carrier
Quote:

It could be just sprained. Do you have a place to cage her? If so, you probably should. It will get worse if she keeps walking on it.
Are you sure it is a leg injury? Could she be eggbound?

Last edited:
Quote:
If she is favoring her leg, the leg is probably the problem. I suggested checking to see if she is eggbound because you said she appeared to be trying to lay. Checking couldn't hurt.
wink.png

That was my original thought but after he was favoring the leg, i thought it was something else.
Quote:
If she is favoring her leg, the leg is probably the problem. I suggested checking to see if she is eggbound because you said she appeared to be trying to lay. Checking couldn't hurt.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom