Chicken is sick?

RxApple

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2016
Carthage, MO
Hello, we have 5 chickens that are about 16 weeks old. Last night we noticed one chicken didn't want to go in the coop at dark. Thought she needed more time, came back out at 10:30 and she was asleep under the coop by herself so I moved her inside. This morning she was last out of coop and run and then quickly went off on her own and is standing in a puddle of water for quite some time. I also saw her regurgitate clear thick liquid. What could be wrong with her?

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1829&aid=2418

Regurgitation and vomiting are signs commonly seen in birds. Regurgitation is the forceful expulsion of the contents of the mouth, esophagus, or crop. A bird that is regurgitating will often bob its head and stretch out its neck, and the food does not look digested, e.g., whole seeds are regurgitated. Regurgitation is usually a normal behavior. Vomiting is the expulsion of the contents of the proventriculus, ventriculus, or intestine. Vomiting is more of a spitting action, and the bird shakes its head from side to side. Vomiting is a sign of illness and should be evaluated promptly. Unfortunately, though it is often difficult to differentiate between regurgitation and vomiting.
What are the causes of vomiting and regurgitation in pet birds?
There are a large number of causes of vomiting and regurgitation ranging from infections, to something the bird ate, to diseases of multiple organs in the body. Some of the common causes are listed in the following table:

She doesn't have much of a comb yet. After standing in the water for awhile she has since regrouped with the others. Still acts off though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rule of thumb is that when a chick not acting normal, then something is wrong. has the condition improve at all? if you can isolate her, then isolate her to protect others from contacting whatever she might have.

how many days has she been like that without any sign of improving?

Steve

Hello, she is still here but still acting somewhat like a loner. She has been sleeping in the coop again though. Maybe it's just heat exhaustion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom