Chicken is very sick

mommylarz

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
We lost a chicken a month or so ago when we were out of town. Our neighbor who was watching them said was laying on the ground with her eyes closed and she finally passed a few hours later. I have another hen that is doing the same thing. This morning when I let them out, she didn't want to get off her nesting bar. I gave her some water and finally coaxed her down. She could barely get down without falling and had a hard time getting down the ramp. She is very lethargic. Now she is just standing in a corner of her coop with her eyes closed. I have no idea what to do or what is wrong with her. Yesterday she was fine and laying and today she is on her death bed. Any ideas or help????? I am afraid we are about to loose her!

it may be heat exhaustion, how hot is it there? If it is, you need to cool her off. I usually dunk them in a tub of water and put them in front of a fan. Vitamins and electrolytes can't hurt, regardless of what is wrong with her. Put some ice in their water . Good luck.

It is about 95 degrees here that last few days. I put her in a tub of cold water and she seemed to perk up for a little bit. I think I will bring her in the house and see if that helps her. Thank you so much for the input. I hope she makes it!

I would definitely bring her in, at least just to monitor her closely. That way you will be able to see what she is/is not eating and drinking. Listen for breathing problems, if she's pooping etc.. Good luck!

This heat has been so bad, I have lost several this year. It just doesn't let up. You can put frozen water bottles in the waterers. Also the chickens enjoy frozen gallons of water to sit by. Watermelon is a good cool treat and I make puddles for them to wade in. Also shallow containers like baking pans are good for wading. Fans help too, I have 3 in my barn. Glad I was able to help a bit.:)

Back
Top Bottom