Chicken Jugular Damaged, Bleeding out

Okay first thing's first. I'm sorry to have to tell you this but your favorite bird is not a girl. She's a he.

So now do you have any more cockerals or roosters? If so they were likely fighting over dominance.

How old is he? And how old are the rest of your birds? How many birds do you have?

What's your coop like and how much space do they have?

If you have no other cockerals or roosters my next thought is a predator. ...again questions about their coop and safety. Do they free range?
Yeah, I kind of figured that out after the fact, I assumed that since the comb was a whole lot smaller than other breeds, and he wasn't really having any comb or waddle development at a young age (that's him in my profile pic) or not that we really noticed anyways, but whatever, my bad, as for other roosters, we got a batch of chicks last year and after a few of them ran off and got lost, now we apparently just got all roosters from them (which is fun). Currently, (after realizing) we have 5 roosters, they are all free range, the newer ones are about less than a year old and the older ones maybe 2 or 2 and a half. 8 birds in total.

How is he doing today?
Much better, he's parading around the house in fact crowing, the only issue is, we can't keep him in here forever, we're planning on selling a few roosters to keep maybe two in the end and I would definitely want to keep him, another issue, his brother, (the one who beat him up) we would want to keep as well but I don't know how to keep them from fighting again.

Last edited:
The reason his comb is smaller is that he has a pea comb. I'm guessing just based on the pictures that he is a dark Brahma, but I can't be sure just from the photos.

If you want to keep both brothers you will need I would say a minimum of 15-20 pullets/hens for them.

If you have all roosters and only want to keep a bachelor group it can be done. Of course you won't get any eggs from them and they do like to go through the feed.

Roosters and cockerals will fight over dominance but usually don't keep fighting constantly as long as there is enough space, food and water.

However this being many of your boys' first spring their hormones are running extra high.

Are the boys over breeding the girls?

Back
Top Bottom