Chicken keeper checking in from the UK

Hello,

Me & my other half have been keeping hens for over ten years now. We deliberately went with rehoming ex-battery hens as after laying in inhumane conditions for 16 months they deserve a better retirement. We have had all our hens through the British Hen Welfare Trust.

We have five brown hens right now: Daisy, Bella, Molly, Piper and Queen Pip the Glorious (guess which is the top hen).

They are amazing animals, full of life and opinions and none of the twelve hens (that have come to live with us over the years) have had the same likes or dislikes. Every one of them has been unique.

We have a great vet, live half an hour from a company that mills it's own animal feed (organic, naturally) and I came across BYC to find out more info chickens, as there's so much more to learn about them.
Hello @DoingChickenBidding. :welcome it's great you have ex battery hens. I had 6. Sadly I'm down to 3 but each one that I've lost was well over 3 yrs old. So that's over half there life in freedom. My other 3 are doing great! They are so much more quirky than my other hens and so much more friendly! Post some pictures if you can.

Hello @DoingChickenBidding. :welcome it's great you have ex battery hens. I had 6. Sadly I'm down to 3 but each one that I've lost was well over 3 yrs old. So that's over half there life in freedom. My other 3 are doing great! They are so much more quirky than my other hens and so much more friendly! Post some pictures if you can.
Hi there, thanks for the welcome people.

Bella & Daisy have been with us since last September, Molly has just celebrated five years with us and Pip & Piper have been retired garden hens for seven and a half years now.

Photos to follow.

Back
Top Bottom