Chicken keeps laying down and panting

Hello Everyone,
My feral hen heather has laid 1 egg everyday & i have collected every single one of them as i do not want any baby chicks! However with that being said heather goes into her nesting area like she always does & lays an egg consistenly the first 3 to 4 days she lays her egg & waits 1/2 to 45 mins then comes out to forage for bugs & worms with my roo henry but lately i notice she goes into her nesting area & after she lays she now takes 3 /4 hours just sitting on that 1 egg!!! Is this nornal??? I hope she isn't brooding her eggs... & 2 day at around 10:00 a.m. she went in & not sure how long she stayed in her nesting area & came out thinking she had laid her daily 1 egg per day but NO EGG!!! Not sure whats going on with her... Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Could be the hot weather can cause a reduction in laying or she may be going broody or beginning to molt. It's hard to know.

Since she is wild, it will be even harder to know what's going on with her. Have you notice feather loss?

Thanks Wyrop Rock no feather loss that i can tell but funny as it was roosting time last night she roosts in the tree but b4 she roosted she took a peep in her nesting area as i was trying to see if she was going to roost there but she didn't she roosted in the tree...Also her last 2 eggs that she laid took her 4 hrs instead of her usual 1/2 hr to 45 mins...More longer just sitting on them....But once out of her nest she doesn't go back & sit... Also i must mention that my neighbor has just started construction on building a house & i'm wondering if all that pounding & drilling & hammering is causing her stress & making her not wanting to come out after laying & all that noises is stressing her out... The construction site is close to her nesting area.... Should i be concern if she's not laying & how long can she gp without laying... Thanks for the reply!

Thanks Wyrop Rock no feather loss that i can tell but funny as it was roosting time last night she roosts in the tree but b4 she roosted she took a peep in her nesting area as i was trying to see if she was going to roost there but she didn't she roosted in the tree...Also her last 2 eggs that she laid took her 4 hrs instead of her usual 1/2 hr to 45 mins...More longer just sitting on them....But once out of her nest she doesn't go back & sit... Also i must mention that my neighbor has just started construction on building a house & i'm wondering if all that pounding & drilling & hammering is causing her stress & making her not wanting to come out after laying & all that noises is stressing her out... The construction site is close to her nesting area.... Should i be concern if she's not laying & how long can she gp without laying... Thanks for the reply!

Do you have any photos of her - I would love to see what she looks like:)

Changes in her environment would cause stress. Chickens are adaptable, but it may take her a little while to become comfortable again.

I don't know much about Hawaii and what your seasons are like right now, if you are getting toward the end of summer - she may be getting ready to molt, but it could be a last push to brood as well.

Do you put out any food for her at all?

15019944051021066399716.jpg
I
1501994452950-1971201763.jpg

Hi This is the best photo i can come up with as she won't let me get near her so i had to take it from afar Lol! & Yes she gets fed every morning & afternoon + treats like papaya & grapes!!

Wyrop Its very hot and it is summer here my roo henry has lost his tail feathers but slowy growing back now he's losing his neck feathers!!

Hi This is the best photo i can come up with as she won't let me get near her so i had to take it from afar Lol! & Yes she gets fed every morning & afternoon + treats like papaya & grapes!!...Wyrop Its very hot and it is summer here my roo henry has lost his tail feathers but slowy growing back now he's losing his neck feathers!!

She is adorable! I like her color:) Just keep an eye on her, sounds like you are doing well - cool water, feed and fresh fruit.

It sounds like Henry is molting. Would love to see him too.

Back
Top Bottom