Chicken lady-in-training

Krich2683

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2020
Eastern Michigan
Hello!! Introductory post here:
My name is Karen and my family got our first chickens March 13th of this year! While covid certainly expedited our chicken journey, it had been the plan to get them anyway since we purchased our first home in October 2019.

We started with 18 pullets, which ended up being 15 ladies and 3 gentlemen. We lost our first chicken to a hawk a few days ago. And since begining, have added 4 guinea keets (lost one) and 4 Isa Browns, all of which are around 4 weeks old. And most recently, I decided to incubate some eggs from a local hatchery and have successfully hatched 7 of the 10 viable eggs. I asked for just any random variety and that's what it seems like we have. I know 3 are Americauna and 2 are marans and (fingers crossed) 1 is looking like an Ayem Cemani. Waiting on 3 more to hatch, as it's only day 22 I still have hopes they will hatch. Debating on whether to do a float test. We shall see

Other than the chickens, we have a Doberman, 2 American bullies, a green cheek conure, a hedgehog and a big fat lazy cat.

Super excited to have found this forum since I'm a chicken newbie but obsessed already 😁

Hi and welcome to the flock~

Sounds like you've got quite the busy household with all those animals! I think you've moved past "in-training" and are a full-fledged chicken lady now lol. You should def consider starting a thread to detail your chicken/poultry adventure, or consider joining in a monthly hatch-a-long.

Omg...what is a monthly hatch-a-long??!!!!
Is it hilarious or sad that I forgot to mention the humans that I drag along on this journey?😁 I should include that I have 3ish kids and a husband, who is currently building my new coop muahahhaaaa

Omg...what is a monthly hatch-a-long??!!!!
Is it hilarious or sad that I forgot to mention the humans that I drag along on this journey?😁 I should include that I have 3ish kids and a husband, who is currently building my new coop muahahhaaaa
Woof, no one can blame you for forgetting with all the other lives you're taking care of!

The monthly hatch-a-longs are just that: threads where people set eggs at the same time, post their progress and--hopefully--everyone's eggs hatch on the same day! The upcoming October event is scheduled to have peepers pipping on Halloween night which is perfect since Halloween events and parties are gonna be a bust for a lot of folks this year.

Back
Top Bottom