chicken law for Greenville, NC?

oliviad51

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
North Carolina
My aunt just moved to Greenville, NC and she wants a few chickens. Does anyone know how many you can keep here? She lives in Pitt, Greenville. I have been looking online and I can't find anythig! I looked on BYC too and couldn't find anything. Can anyone help?

I'm assuming she lives in the city limits? I live in Greenville too but outside of town and I have 14.
If she wants to know where NOT to get chicks locally, then tell her to email me. I have gotten several
birds from one man who sells a whole lot of poultry around Pitt Cty and they were sick. The made everyone else sick
too and I had a couple to die. He could care less. If she would like to talk chicken any time, tell her to email me
[email protected]
I'm always willing to make a new chicken friend and always willing to learn something new!
Oh, and I believe I have heard of a city ordinance banning roosters because of the crowing.

Lori

Hey guys, I know this post is a bit old so you probably already figured this out but I thought I would post for anybody new that may be interested in Greenville, NC. I copied and pasted this from the Greenville City Codes:

Animals 12-29
(B) Up to four chickens, ducks, pigeons, doves or other fowl may be kept on a single lot or tract within the city so long as the fowl do not, by reason of noise, odor or attraction of flies, become a nuisance or health hazard.
(C) Between five and 15 chickens, ducks, pigeons, doves or other fowl may be kept on any single lot or tract in the city upon the following conditions.
(1) The fowl will not be permitted to run at large, and must be maintained in a chicken house or coop of suitable construction and size for the number of fowl maintained in it.
(2) The owner or occupant of any premises where such houses or coops are maintained shall thoroughly clean the same of all manure and other wastes at least twice each week. All waste material removed from houses or coops shall be hauled off of the site or disposed of on-site in such a way that it does not cause odor or attract flies.
(3) No chicken house or coop may be located any nearer than 175 feet from any dwelling, hospital, eating establishment or school.

Just for clarification the 1,2 and 3 bullets only apply to keeping between 5 and 15 chickens.
It does not specifically address more than 15 birds (total; not 15 chickens, 15 ducks, 15 turkeys, etc). but at that point you probably have reached a presumptive limit to be considered a commercial operation and would fall under stricter guidelines.

So yay! We can have chickens! I'm hoping to build a coup soon.

So exciting! I had always heard we are allowed to have 3 chickens in the city limits. I currently have 6, all babies and planning on finding homes for three of them as soon as they are bigger. I am pretty sure I have RIR sor New Hampshire Reds, if you're interested in giving them a good home I wouldn't ask you to pay me for them. Free to good home so to speak.

Hey guys, I know this post is a bit old so you probably already figured this out but I thought I would post for anybody new that may be interested in Greenville, NC. I copied and pasted this from the Greenville City Codes:

Animals 12-29
(B) Up to four chickens, ducks, pigeons, doves or other fowl may be kept on a single lot or tract within the city so long as the fowl do not, by reason of noise, odor or attraction of flies, become a nuisance or health hazard.
(C) Between five and 15 chickens, ducks, pigeons, doves or other fowl may be kept on any single lot or tract in the city upon the following conditions.
(1) The fowl will not be permitted to run at large, and must be maintained in a chicken house or coop of suitable construction and size for the number of fowl maintained in it.
(2) The owner or occupant of any premises where such houses or coops are maintained shall thoroughly clean the same of all manure and other wastes at least twice each week. All waste material removed from houses or coops shall be hauled off of the site or disposed of on-site in such a way that it does not cause odor or attract flies.
(3) No chicken house or coop may be located any nearer than 175 feet from any dwelling, hospital, eating establishment or school.

Just for clarification the 1,2 and 3 bullets only apply to keeping between 5 and 15 chickens.
It does not specifically address more than 15 birds (total; not 15 chickens, 15 ducks, 15 turkeys, etc). but at that point you probably have reached a presumptive limit to be considered a commercial operation and would fall under stricter guidelines.

So yay! We can have chickens! I'm hoping to build a coup soon.
Does anyone know if this is still current? I hope it hasn't changed I am having trouble finding info. We are looking at a 2 acre lot just outside the city of Greenville it's rual but still Pitt county with a Greenville address. I really want Chickens, Turkey & Goats.
Land searching has been very frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom